classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Motoring history Kennet Valley
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
1935Hillman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:23 pm    Post subject: Motoring history Kennet Valley Reply with quote

Dear Forum members,

I am, with a friend and colleague, researching the motoring history of the Kennet Valley covering an area roughly between Reading and Marlborough up to 1970. We are in the process of compiling all of the so far excellent material we have gathered to create a book which may possibly be ready for Christmas this year. While we have been overwhelmed by the generousness of the larger garage owning families we have been less successful with smaller and private archives and would like to make an appeal here.
We are seeking photographs, documents, stories and other ephemera relating to garages, filling stations, road signs, AA, RAC, cafes, cars, motorcycles, racing etc. from Reading, Newbury, Thatcham, Hungerford, Marlborough and all outlying villages. Inevitably after several years there are many commonly found images that we will have seen before but we are always hopeful that something new may turn up. If you think that you can help us then please do let me know. I can let you have an email address by PM. Many thanks for reading this and I look forward to hearing from you. Tim Green
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Good luck with your plans, could you include a method of people contacting you who aren't signed-up forum members please (eg an email address, modified to avoid spammers if necessary).

Thanks, RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
petelang

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tim.
This may be helpful or not, but I recall some time ago, I found a video on YouTube of a chap driving a Mk2 Jaguar from Reading to Marlborough. Reproduced from a sound inclusive cine film it showed many places on the route. You probably know of it already and I've no idea where to find it again but might be interesting to try and find it. One of our members here will probably post a link after a prompt. I think the driver may have been an advanced driving instructor, or something, and it was to show best practice.
Peter
1935Hillman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pete,

I have seen it and it is brilliant with so many landmarks still standing and many not.
Thank you
Also, my email address is tjgreenesq@geemaildotcom
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

petelang wrote:
Hi Tim.
This may be helpful or not, but I recall some time ago, I found a video on YouTube of a chap driving a Mk2 Jaguar from Reading to Marlborough. Reproduced from a sound inclusive cine film it showed many places on the route. You probably know of it already and I've no idea where to find it again but might be interesting to try and find it. One of our members here will probably post a link after a prompt. I think the driver may have been an advanced driving instructor, or something, and it was to show best practice.
Peter

That sounds very much like one I've seen, only that version was London to Bath - I wonder if you've just seen a shorter clip? If there was someone else in a Herald doing a succession of daft tricks it's the same one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: