classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Your reactions to other examples of your classic car.
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Ellis

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:02 pm    Post subject: Your reactions to other examples of your classic car. Reply with quote

How do feel when you see other examples of your own classic car?

Jealousy, admiration or do you objectively compare your car with others you see?

There are Mark 2 Jaguars in North Wales and I am on good terms with those owners I know. Some, well all really, have better examples than mine which is partially stripped in readiness for another bare metal respray to solve micro blistering from the 1996 restoration.

Some cars have been beautifully and expensively restored but there are two original examples as well. Wistfulness perhaps but my admiration for other examples outweighs all.
I always look at the ways certain things have been done - veneer restoration, under bonnet detail and so on.

When I look at other Series 2 and 2a Land Rovers I feel proud of mine.
It has a patina which no restoration can reproduce because it still has around 60% of it's original paint and all but one of the body panels ( one n/s outer front wing) it was built with. Most other S2 ans 2a owners agree that even a repaint would spoil it.
I still look at the condition of other's bulkheads, front panels and chassis with interest.

What do you think about when you see other examples of your own classic car and what in particular do you look for?

1964 Jaguar Mark 2 3.4 litre
1962 Land Rover Series 2a 88"
2002 BMW M3 E46 Cabriolet
Rootes75

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't yet seen another phase 1 Minx like mine at a show yet but I do see some commercials very similar to mine. As I am restoring my Commer this has been quite valuable because I can take pictures for reference and see how certain parts are assembled.
peter scott

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My reaction is the same as for any old car namely, I dislike non-original aspects. A beautiful slightly worn original car is for me much preferable to a supposed concours example.

Peter
V8 Nutter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought my Coupe de Ville back in 1991 since then I have seen one Calais, that was the entry level coupe one, original Coupe de Ville they were both interesting to see and compare which of the 160 or so optional extras had been fitted. A couple of years ago I saw a customised Coupe de Ville. It had a beautiful paint job, a similar colour to mine, but the vinyl roof had been removed, as had most of the chrome. It had big silly wheels with elastic band tyres, and lowered suspension. I much preferred mine original but slightly scabby paintwork and everything else as it should be.
alastairq

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My reaction on seeing another Dellow is...joy!

Although these cars are old enough....and would indeed qualify as 'classics'....[they were built for a more-or-less specific job, and sold as such.....daily driving was seen as a useful adjunct to their abilities]

However, over the decades many were modified [as more powerful engines, & stronger transmissions, were sought or found to be easily available] by owners.....but it seems the basis of the car [its 'bones and skin?] remain the same as when they left the factory in Alvechurch.
[They had a very strong chassis, virtually unbreakable even today.... and the bodies had a basic simplicity that was in itself quite lovely to look at.]

Mine is still running its Ford sidevalve mechanics...but brought into the 1970's with oil filters and stuff....
I am unimpressed by seeing an very old car with extremely modern mechanics......although I appreciate, the fitment of a Zetec is a far cheaper option that finding [& re-building] a Crossflow Ford....

I am also less than impressed by the fitment of things like disc brakes [instead of drums]......in a vehicle that originally wasn't designed for them.

But then, I am of the view that perceived shortcomings in a vehicle's braking department are as much down to the driver [and the linings?] as by the design.....

However, I can appreciate changes which might have been made, ''at the time'' of its normal usage....flashing indicators, and stuff....although I do wish more thought was given to the blending in of such things...somehow, an indicator stuck on a pole on a bumper end is less than impressive.

I am also turned off by modern [and expensive..look how much I've spent, etc etc]...paint jobs.

Sorry, but I look at an old car and ask...just how usable is it? Would I park it in Tesco's? Or should it only be allowed out on high days & holidays?
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't run into a lot the same as mine, and having attending shows with many of the same people over the years, those that I do see tend to be the same ones. With my recent project I've been trying to take any opportunity to look at other ones to get details as correct as I can, but there are few around so it hasn't been easy.

I can't say that I don't mentally compare them to mine, either from the point of view of being happy that mine might be "better" somehow or more original, but equally to see areas where mine could do with some attention or improvement.
winchman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had a bloke come and look at my Sons BSA C15, its 56 years old but he wants to strip it and make a showroom one, I would just ride it, I love to see cars and bikes used as many people just cant afford to restore them but can afford to use them, he would love a battered series land rover but they get snapped up by people wanting to spoil them with paint and polish.
Ray White

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen a few Austin Swallow Saloons; usually offered for sale by dealers. I can't help looking to see if they have the same original features that mine has. Not many surviving cars have. I get a bit annoyed when people say such and such is genuine "Swallow". This is particularly the case with the radiator mascot. I will even go as far as contacting the seller to correct them. Sad, really. Embarassed [/b]
consul 57

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very few mk 2 ford consuls here in somerset, not seen another one whilst driving mine
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll always stroll over and have a look if I see another Herald (or Vitesse) parked up, either at a show or just out and about. I admire the smart ones, and when I see the really rough ones get reminded that mine isn't so bad after all - condition wise it's about in the middle of those that can still get an MOT. I fear there will be some really lethal old sheds declared as original and put back on the road without an MOT... Rolling Eyes
lowdrag

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I constantly receive emails asking for advice on replicas and E-types and treat each and every one with courtesy. Sometimes, like today, I have to try and convince the owner that his ideas are not really productive and others are of course dreamers. I care not if the replica is alloy or fibre, even the Le Mans Company D-types which used GT6 engines are all welcome. After all, we are all in the same boat and not one of us can afford the five million to own a real car.

Last year I saw a replica of a replica. Yes, you did read it correctly. One D-type which was moulded in fibre glass from a Lynx shell, a new chassis built, and so the car was born. I spent a good half hour chatting to the owner while he explained it to me. Fascinating stuff too. So to me all are welcome. This year sees the 70 years of the XK event at Shelsley Walsh in June. I'll be there in my replica and hope to see plenty of others. Here's the photo of the replicated replica.

5. The Replica replica by Tony Brown, on Flickr
mikeC

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But I bet he refers to it as a replica D-Type, not a replica Lynx Laughing
Ray White

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it matter what a replica is a copy of so long as the quality is there?

I have seen several Austin Seven "Ulster" replicas. Some are so good they can bring a tear to the eye. Others are so poor they have the same effect. Laughing
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Your reactions to other examples of your classic car. Reply with quote

Ellis wrote:
What do you think about when you see other examples of your own classic car and what in particular do you look for?

With regard to the Moggy, there's no shortage of other ones to look at when attending a show, typically mine falls into the middle ground with regard to condition - some are much better, others a little "edgier" but I suppose that applies to any old car that's still around in reasonable numbers.

Once I've owned a car for a while, I tend to know their weak spots (usually body-related) so my eyes tend to wander to those zones first by habit, but I'd never pull up an owner for non-original parts or ropey body/interior etc (even if I might think it Wink).

There was an example of a car I own at a show last year, it was in "rat look" guise, but really was rough as anything with lousy wiring strewn across the engine bay, and rust everywhere. But their car, their choice, but it wasn't one for me!

At the end of the day, the more old cars that are out there in use, the better. But it's only natural to compare the good and bad bits of your own example, with others you see out of captivity.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Riley Blue

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Your reactions to other examples of your classic car. Reply with quote

Ellis wrote:

I think what very good taste the owners has.

If they're with their car I might have a chat to 'compare notes' as there's always something to discover and experiences to share. I never compare my car with others; mine suits me and gives me enjoyment no doubt theirs suits them, that's all that matters.

1963 Riley 1.5
1965 Riley 1.5
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: