classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

How NOT to sell a classic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Ray White

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:22 pm    Post subject: How NOT to sell a classic Reply with quote

I know I bang on about it but sometimes I see something that just winds me up. I don't suppose this lovely old Morris 8 will be sold to a hot rodder but the advert shows the owner just couldn't care less if it gets chopped up. Please don't chide me with "it's his car...do what he likes" drivel. If you had an historic house it would be listed and you wouldn't be able to fit plastic window frames and ruin it so why shouldn't old cars like this have some protection?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MORRIS-8-HOT-ROD-RAT-ROD/142687383251?_trkparms=pageci%3A54bcb760-1180-11e8-afc6-74dbd180dbe9%7Cparentrq%3A943b03701610aa48827f72bafff6c7d4%7Ciid%3A2&_trksid=p2481888.c100656.m5063
peter scott

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a really good car. We'll keep fingers crossed that it finds an appreciative owner.

Peter
alastairq

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed a nice car, almost suitable as a 'daily driver'...certainly one to use alongside the mandatory daily driver [in insurance terms?]...

Although I would prefer a Ford Model Y.... Cool
Ray White

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alastairq wrote:
Indeed a nice car, almost suitable as a 'daily driver'...certainly one to use alongside the mandatory daily driver [in insurance terms?]...

Although I would prefer a Ford Model Y.... Cool

A Ford Y over a Morris 8? I cut my teeth on both and would prefer the Morris. Very Happy
Rootes75

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a lovely car to me, cettainly not a hot or rat rod.
Ray White

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had Morris 8s when I was growing up. I could only have been 4 or 5 years old but I remember I would run to the end of our lane and meet my Dad on his way home from work. I used to sit on his lap and steer the car trying to avoid the puddles in the unmade road.

Funny what I can remember from all those years ago.!
Miken

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe he thinks writing "hot rod" will encourage the bidding to prevent this happening.
Ray White

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miken wrote:
Maybe he thinks writing "hot rod" will encourage the bidding to prevent this happening.

Is that what is sometimes called "reverse Psychology"? You might be right. I think someone would have to be particularly insensitive to start attacking a car like this with an angle grinder and cutting torch.

What it really needs is a sympathetic approach. Let us hope it finds a good home. A Morris like this would be a good entry to the hobby and I would be more than happy to advise where I can.
welder

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just watched the auction countdown and the Morris achieved £5,775.05. I can't imagine that it's going to be anything but a 1936 Series1 Morris 8.

Thank goodness.

Ian
Ray White

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was happy to see it sell for a fair price too. What a lovely example too. My dad was a MG and Morris man and we had several 8s. One of them was an ex police car and went pretty well. We travelled all over the West Country in it and it never missed a beat. Smile

( Pun wasn't intended Rolling Eyes )
Paul fairall

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray, you will be pleased that hot rodding could be finished with the latest proposals. But don't get too smug it's the tip of the iceberg, classic cars will be on their radar with world harmonized emissions testing. I understand the tree huggers have won a case against the government to do with ultra low emissions zones. Can't remember the details, it's an age related thing, read it somewhere.
Paul fairall

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/102714/new-emissions-laws-likely-as-government-loses-court-case-over-pollution-plans
Ray White

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul fairall wrote:
Ray, you will be pleased that hot rodding could be finished with the latest proposals. But don't get too smug it's the tip of the iceberg, classic cars will be on their radar with world harmonized emissions testing. I understand the tree huggers have won a case against the government to do with ultra low emissions zones. Can't remember the details, it's an age related thing, read it somewhere.

Yes, I read, for example, that the London scheme will not allow LPG converted vehicles. The reasoning is that the scheme is aimed at the type of vehicle rather than what fuel it uses. Us LPG guys are very disappointed that our clean vehicles are not considered environmentally friendly enough. I have always felt that it is the constant recycling of cars with a "must have" new model every year that is the elephant in the room. The amount of energy used and the consumption of natural resources in producing a new vehicle is enormous but no one points the finger at such wasteful consumerism.

I don't think you intended any offence but as it happens I don't do "smug".
I am also not against hot rods as such. As I keep saying, the thing that upsets me is seeing a good, restorable or even perfectly usable vintage or classic cars being sacrificed on the altar of Hot Rodding. There are not enough survivors to allow this activity without irreparably harming our motoring heritage. It is simply not a sustainable option. Use glass fibre by all means or salvage a wreck if you are able but taking out genuine classic cars for the treatment seems like short sightedness to me.
Paul fairall

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No offence intended Ray, just pulling your leg, I do think this is the thin end of the wedge and that all vehicles not complying with the latest emissions will be doomed, including classic cars, it's just a matter of time unless someone sees sense, but when has a politician ever had any of that.
Ray White

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The doomsday scenario is simply not one that I or many other old car users are prepared to accept. The hobby is worth £billions to the British economy and it's representatives WILL be heard. Politicians know they will have to face loosing a lot of voters if they ignore US.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: