classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Concluding Aussie Tour. (Lots of photos!)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans)
roverdriver

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:46 pm    Post subject: Concluding Aussie Tour. (Lots of photos!) Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments on my previous postings. We did enjoy some grand scenery as well as lots of other interesting sights, but this being a motoring forum, I have tried to confine myself to the subject.

The town of Tenterfield lies close to the Queensland/New South Wales border. The railway station is now closed and turned into a museum. For some reason the 'break of gauge' station was the one just over the border in Queensland. (NSW uses standard gauge of 4' 8½", Qld uses 3' 6" gauge)

Here is the cockpit of the red railmotor that can be seen along the platform in the first pic.

I am sure that you are all remember the song, written by the late Peter Allen about his Grandfather, 'The Tenterfield Saddler'.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVAHb0P-Cuw
Well here is his saddlery shop.

From Tenterfield we motored on to Gunnedah. Mrs Roverdriver had found information that there was a large and interesting Rural Museum there. We were not disappointed.

The place was huge. Naturally tractors, shearing equipment and other farming devices predominated, but there were some curious other items too, like this engine.

This Fordson has a clever auger attachment for drilling post holes.

This is a Vickers tractor, followed by a Vickers Aussie. Both awaiting restoration. I must do some research on that company, wonder if they are associated with Vickers Gin! In fact both machine were built in England by the long established Vickers company.

Four wheel drive tractors are not a new thing- here is a 1920 version.

here are a couple of single cylinder ones which were fairly popular too.

Here is another variation on the Fordson theme. Not sure why it is wearing that rubber necklace.

There were quite a few interesting cars on show.

How better to move a stationary engine from place to place, than to make a sledge from a fork of a tree!

A Gas Producer from WW2. Yes they were used here as well!

Unusual in Oz- an Austin Tractor.

A much more common vehicle from the same maker-

The Furphy Farm Water Cart was a piece of brilliant engineering and has become an Aussie rural icon.

If you would like to know more about them and why the word 'furphy' mean 'gossip' or unreliable information, you can read about it here-

http://www.furphys.com.au/history/the-famous-furphy-water-cart.html

Outside there was a huge variety of machinery awaiting attention.

I don't think many American steamers came to Oz, but here is one with an interesting steering mechanism.

So we left Gunnedah and quietly motored on towards home. The only other vehicle of interest that we encountered was this HZ Holden at Wagga Wagga.

Our outing took us through three Australian states, and we covered almost five thousand kilometers.

Last edited by roverdriver on Sun May 27, 2018 11:31 am; edited 2 times in total
victor 101

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotted one of those Lanz Bulldog tractors at the Driffield Show during the week, never seen one before, now i've seen two in a week. Thanks for sharing your trip.
peter scott

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit like the Vanwall engine, stacking up motorcycle engines.

"The 2.0 L engine was designed by Norton engineer Leo Kuzmicki, and was essentially four Manx[1] single-cylinder 498 cc (30.4 cu in) (86.1 mm × 85.6 mm (3.39 in × 3.37 in)) engines with a common waterjacket, cylinder head (a copy of the Norton's) and valvetrain,[1] with induction by four AMAL motorcycle carburetors."

Peter

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: