classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

70 years of the Morris Minor
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Ray White

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ashley wrote:
ukdave2002 wrote:
Ashley wrote:
The side valve in the post war Morris Minor was the one that appeared in the Morris 8 Series and the E. It was designed by Morris, 917cc and very robust and durable, more so than the 803 cc A Series engine. Both developed about 27bhp.

The Morris back axle was stronger than the Austin one too. BMC switched to it along with the A Series engine.
The side valve M8 engine was 918cc actually, it was also used in Nuffield tractors but probably the vehicle it had its longest spell in was the Chieftain Tank from the 50's and still in use during the Gulf war of the early 90's

Dave

Thanks Dave, I’m no expert but I do remember a friend of my parents having a side valve convertible minor with the Alta conversion. It was much faster even than the 1098 cars. He kept it for years and it was well known.

Funny thing is, as anyone who’s driven one knows, MM brakes are bl—-dy useless, so I’m guessing a lack of traffic was the reason for his survival in a 90mph Version.

Here are a couple of Alta conversions. Rob Thomas' car shown here not quite finished but should go well with all that work.
Ashley

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting indeed, it’s years since I’ve seen one, though I remember 2 SUs.
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any idea what the Alta conversion improved the engine output to?

Dave
Ray White

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ukdave2002 wrote:
Any idea what the Alta conversion improved the engine output to?

Dave

I don't have the actual figures for the Alta OHV head conversion but I read it increases power output by 40%. Elsewhere 27BHP is increased to 56 so over 50%.

Top speed over 75 mph.

It would take a very brave man to do that!
Ashley

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it depended on what stage you took it too. With a camshaft and twin SUs, they’d produce nearly sixty bhp and still the Morris engine and axle survived.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: