classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

TV programmes about classic cars
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rootes75 wrote:
Just watched the new Car SOS, doing a lovely Austin Tilly van. Very good show and they tried to keep the original patina.

I saw that last night - far less messing around from Tim, and actually some interesting detail in how they dealt with the leaf springs. Much better than many episodes.
Rootes75

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked it for the simple fact that there was none of the normal spraying and polishing every bit and taking away all the character of a classic.
A sensible and thoughtful rebuild rather than a restoration.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rootes75 wrote:
I liked it for the simple fact that there was none of the normal spraying and polishing every bit and taking away all the character of a classic.
A sensible and thoughtful rebuild rather than a restoration.

Agreed, junior and I both enjoyed this one, plus there were more tantalising glimpses of an E83W in the background of the workshop.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Rootes75

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Rick, that E83W looks nice. I also noticed what looked like a Standard 8/10, pre or early postwar.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We watched an episode of the American "Fantomworks" the other evening. Seeing the boss of the company swinging on spanners beneath a Mustang perched on a single hydraulic jack made me wince, especially as the disc/hub assembly was right over his chest, with both front wheels removed.

RJ
Rootes75

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched a bit of Salvage Hunters Classic cars last night, I just don't like it. No real restoration work, a lot of opinions and then talking of £20k as if its pocket change. It seems so far from the everyday enthusiasts.
Ashley

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watch all sorts of short videos about cars made by amateurs including Hoovie who’s a clown and sometimes very funny.

In this one he’s testing a dent removal kit and answering questions from fans. It’s not long and might make you laugh.

https://youtu.be/PZHqILBYWlo
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salvage Hunters - Classic Cars is back on our screens for a new series (in the UK at any rate). Episode 1 saw a Capri 2.0S and an Integrale receiving make-overs.

The Ford at least did appear to receive restoration and looked decent by the end of the programme. The red Delta though received a hideous (IMO) vinyl wrap all over, changing its base colour to white with rally-rep stickers all over it. The original red paint was visible under the bonnet and no doubt in many other areas, if the camera had gone anywhere near them. Repaint it properly in white and deck it out in Martini livery, that's ok, but using a wrap to change the base colour just looks rubbish to me.

RJ
badhuis

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick wrote:
using a wrap to change the base colour just looks rubbish to me.

Not sure this is an option in general or just for the Lancia.
The previous owner wrapped my X-type (at least 5 years ago), so the base colour has changed from a boring (IMO) silver to matt black. Although I would not wrap a car myself, the reactions to the car are surprisingly all positive. I am in two minds - I do not like a modern(ish) car being silver as that accounts to maybe 50% of all modern cars so anything else would be an improvement. However I am not a great fan of matt black either as it is a little too aggressive.
In the end I do not care very much because it is "just" a modern for me and not a car which I will own 20 years from now.
Rootes75

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not keen on the vinyl wrap really, I still don't particularly like Salvage Hunters. I have been watching re-runs of Car SOS, I like Fuzz Townsend.
alastairq

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wrapping?

I'm in two minds about this. [Makes a change, I've normally been accused of only having half a mind!]

A good chum has used vinyl wraps for odd things like a bonnet, and doors....on cars where the alternative was really either [a] too costly], or [b] too much hassle.
The results look quite good..and even if errors are made, it is easy enough to rip off and replace.

I was thinking of the wrap route when it comes to colouring in my fibreglass ashley 1172 bodyshell.....The surface apparently needs far less in the way of 'preparation' than for spray painting. [Making sure it's smooth, really]..Plus, if I had to farm out for painting, the costs would amount to a lot more than a trip to a professional wrappers.

Still, a long way down the road at present!
----------------------------------------------
Ford Pop chassis, Ashley 1172 bodyshell, in pieces.
consul 57

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

loved the carpi owners F type victor, glad they did not touch that!
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick wrote:
Salvage Hunters - Classic Cars is back on our screens for a new series (in the UK at any rate). Episode 1 saw a Capri 2.0S and an Integrale receiving make-overs.

I saw that, nice to see Mick and his Can-Am Firenza replica getting a bit of screen time in the sequence shot at Curborough.

On the subject of wrapping, didn't you think that they showed more detail on wrapping in that piece than the entire first series of "Yianni - Supercar Customiser" which covers a bloke who does nothing but wrap cars? And the steering wheel guy was interesting, too.

So even if the stuff they do is a bit suspect (those Capri seats looked like the covers were quite loose to me, apparently the foam backing on the fabric disintegrates and causes that) they're at least putting a bit of tech detail in without the messing around that Car SOS does now.
Rootes75

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just watching Salvage Hunters, what a load of rubbish. All it is is throwing lots of money at cars but not really doing the work. Very little seems to be repaired just simply replaced, they have just spent £4k on retrimming the seats in an MGC!?!
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There does seem to be some questionable ideas on how they present the cars for sale. £4k for an interior re-trim is the kind of thing you do if you know exactly what you want, and intend to enjoy it, not what you do if you're intending to sell the car on for profit. Especially as, being an MG, I'm sure they could source a very good quality seat trim set for a fraction of the price.

Seem as if the MGC, Jaguar XJ-S and Maserati are still for sale on Auto Trader, despite the series being filmed last summer, so perhaps the target prices are just too optimistic. Maybe some of the others are too - it doesn't seem possible to bring up all the cars for the same dealer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: