classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

MOT consultation outcome
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
alanb

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some years ago a colleague of mine was involved in 3 car shunt, his being the middle car, was hit from behind by a middle aged lady driver pushing him into the car in front, the lady was very apologetic saying she could not understand why her car didn't stop as it was fitted with the latest disc brakes. The driver from the front responded with "that maybe so madam but they only work if you press the bloody pedal".

Morris 8 two seater
lowdrag

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil - Nottingham wrote:
Interesting views as to modern car brakes. I find and prefer all our 7 classics brakes entirely satisfactory and the 1938 Rover Girling mechanical ones excellent.

I do not like modern car brakes as they are not progressive and I think it is modern car drivers who are not up to the standard of old car drivers that is the problem not the brakes

Don't confuse "progressive" with the quite large forces needed to actuate old non-servo drum brakes. The least progressive brakes I ever tried were the on/off Citroen ones, but with any sensitivity modern cars are very progressive but need less pressure. Driving today is no longer the fun it was because of traffic density, but a lot of the bad driving is all down to modern "aids" such as satnav, phone, and so on. Sheer distractions. Now when I cruised the A34 from Portsmouth north with the light programme giving me its full five watts, and not another car in sight life was easier!
alastairq

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never use the radio [or muzak] when driving...nor do I engage in deep conversations with passengers...and definitely do not have hands-free stuff.
Reason is simple.....listening to something other than the road & vehicle, or engaging the brain in conversation, is a distraction, IMHO. Which means, the driver's brain is not giving 100% concentration on the job in hand.
Comfort is one thing...relaxing behind the wheel is something else entirely.

As for putting on the make-up? Lippy goes all over the shop if I'm busy driving.
I'm not prepared to increase my risk factor by attempting to multi-task.

Any passengers I have can listen to their own music via ipods....I find it very anti-social to have to endure passing traffic that is constantly thumping out what passes for music that is intended to be an imposition on others' ears.

Twice is once too often, to be listening to radio 4, thudding up the A1, to completely 'miss' the Scotch Corner turn-off for the A66!
A bit of an issue if driving 40 tonnes of artic! [which I used to do on a weekend, to earn a bit more cash....since my Civil Service job didn't pay very well! When one has C+E , as well as D+E, one might as well use it..]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: