classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Skip and tip finds ...
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Vintage Motoring-Related Toys, Tools & Accessories
alastairq

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm! Just about the only issue my local tip staff have a beef about is when one turns up with an over-large trailer, but with no 'tickets'... [which are easy enough to obtain anyway].

In fact, I think they positively encourage skip-wombling...anything that cuts down the percentages of stuff that might go to landfill? [THey say,at our tip, they 100% recycle everything... Smile ]
About 15 years ago now, my then-wife bought me, for a pressie, an old Suzuki Supercarry van she saw advertised, in a front garden. Said I needed a new wheelbarrow!

A very useful, compact load carrier, with surprising driving characteristics. [A proper miniature lorry, rather than a van converted from a car]...a booger when going to the tip with the domestic stuff...kept having to apply for books of permissive tickets!!
The kids, on the other hand, would squabble for the front passenger seat!
Clactonguy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:35 pm    Post subject: recycling? Reply with quote

does seem a waste when item can be used rather than dumped. though also understand some councils adopting attitude that once its dump don their. ground it ( correctly) belongs to them.
so removing anything is illegal. friend of ours waaaay down in Dorset tells me his local dump simply sells anything a punter 'finds' for a small fee.
example was a. chimnea. rusty but in decent. salvageable condition. bought for a £5 . so council gets a few quid. for its running costs buyer happy to spend time and effort restoring.
sort of a win win situation.
maybe we ought to see if councils can get act together and allow citizens to recycle dumped items? though also aware many council tips set aside salvage for traders that. attend regularly. eg. bikes . conflict of interests?
Keith D

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Journeys to the "tip" are a very Australian weekend activity. However the word "tip" must now be replaced with "recycling centre" to be politically correct.

Many of these centres are privately owned and charge an arm and a leg for accepting our rubbish.

Our local Shire (Council) has just opened a new recycling centre that charges nothing providing you are a ratepayer. The only exception is for tyres. They charge $5.50 each, $7.50 if they are still on a wheel. The lady who runs the centre picks through the stuff and puts aside anything that may still be usable. We bought a smart three piece lounge suit suitable for under our veranda for $65 which we are very happy about. I understand that any money thus raised goes back into the Shire's funds.

Everybody is happy and things we no longer require can be passed to a new owner, thus reducing waste.

Keith
1999 BMW Z3
Its weird being the same age as old people.
You are either part of the problem or part of the solution
jp928

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Years ago when our tip was easy to remove things from, I noticed a pile of dead car engines, and on one the heads looked familiar, like a Rover V8, but on an iron block. Sure enough - Buick 300 block, alloy heads, and a 4 barrel inlet manifold. Minutes later, tool kit handy, I am off with the manifold. Cleaned up fine. Put it up on whatever preceded ebay, gone in a flash.
jp 26 Rover 9
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Vintage Motoring-Related Toys, Tools & Accessories All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: