classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Ford Corsair - the forgotten 1960s Ford?
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
alastairq

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peter scott wrote:
The Toyota Supra 5 speed box seems to be another popular transplant for those owners of old cars who don't really like old cars.

Peter. Rolling Eyes

Oh so well put! I agree entirely.
badhuis

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peter scott wrote:
The Toyota Supra 5 speed box seems to be another popular transplant for those owners of old cars who don't really like old cars.

There we are again, the sliding scale.
What is acceptable? Installing bright white LEDs instead of the cute yellow-ish original bulbs? Radial tyres instead of diagonal? Putting in an overdrive box instead of the 4 speed? Switching the 3 speed auto to a lock up four speed auto? Stainless steel exhaust instead of mild steel (which has a slightly different sound)? Stainless steel bumpers instead of rechroming steel? Fit retractable seat belts instead of none? Modern radio? Etc.....
A never ending discussion.
Ashley

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I considered putting a Toyota gearbox in my Healey because the standard one is sixties BMC, but then I thought of everything else that’s wrong with it compared to my moderns and realised that it’s best left standard and enjoyed for what it is, a nice old fashioned sixties car.
47Jag

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just be clear, I have no intention of swapping mines. I was merely curious of the origins of a Type 5.

Art
47Jag

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just be clear, I have no intention of swapping mines. I was merely curious of the origins of a Type 5.

Art

Last edited by 47Jag on Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
JohnDale

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

47Jag wrote:
Further to this and a little sidestep. The Ford Type 5 gearbox is being suggested as a modern replacement for Jaguar MKIV & V because of the overdrive 5th. My question is, what cars were these fitted to? Sierra?

Art

Hi Art,I think you'll find it's a Ford 5 speed type 9 gearbox,cheers,JD.
BigJohn

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray White wrote:
My Dad had a lovely white 2 door GT Corsair which today would be a very rare car. I drove it illegally before passing my test and recall you could induce wheelspin when changing up into second gear!

When I was 19 I dragged a Corsair 2 door 2 litre Gt out of a barn, it had a porous inlet manifold, no carb, and the head lining was one huge mouse nest. It was rare but worthless and cost me £10. We stripped it out then found a manifold in the parts pile, a Weber like a jacuzzi, some welding and my cage fitted. After some magic wand waving it would spin the tyres in 3rd. It was banger raced, but the silly hex oil pump/dizzy drive went ping in the final........
Oh to be 19 in 1975 again!
47Jag

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JD,

All I can say is DOH Embarassed

Art
Inglewood

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion the Corsair was a good car when compared with other Ford models but it did not fair well when compared to the Rover 2000 and Triumph 2000.
lowdrag

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the life of me I cannot understand changing to a 5-speed box when it is so much cheaper to change the diff ratio. On my Jaguar 70mph with the original 3.31 is 3,000 rpm. Put in a 3.07 and you have "saved" 500 rpm. Much more relaxed cruising. I had a friend who in his V12 E-type dropped in a S1 XJ6 O/D box and used a 2.88 diff ratio. On a run down to the south of France his V12 was more economical than my 3.8. 1,500 rpm at 60 mph says it all. But on the subject of Corsairs, no one seems to have mentioned that triumph of engineering, the V4 motor. No more to be said on that subject I believe.
oldboy

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I owned a Corsair 2000E in the early seventies and loved it, it was my second car and I remember being impressed that it would accelerate uphill. Later I also owned two of it's contemporaries the Rover 2000TC and the Triumph 2000 they all had good and bad points and I would struggle to choose my favorite although if pushed it would probably be the Triumph but in 2.5PI form ( if that's not cheating a little).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: