classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

fORD PREFECT KINGPINS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
safechief

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:41 pm    Post subject: fORD PREFECT KINGPINS Reply with quote

Hullo again all,
One of the jobs I wanted to do this winter was renew the kingpins and bushes on my 53 Prefect. Due to illness and bad weatherI couldn't start until recently. Successfully remove hubs, brakes backplate etc, but cannot get pin out. I have made up a screw type press to try and push the pin out, heated it and bashed it with a VLH but no avail. Unless any one can help with bright ideas looks like I will have to take the axle out. Question is can I do this without removing spring or A frame. Any wise words would be appreciated
Regards to all
Jeff
best car ever Daimler V8 saloon 1965, cost me £450. first car Model y Ford cost £15.cars ove 50 years A40 Devon, a30, 35 , consul 375,mini cooper 1962 herald,viva hb Opel ascona, austin1100 capri mk2 many cortinas, saab
Peugeot, renault etc
petelang

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out with the tungsten carbide drill bits I would think. Had a similar problem with a deformed cotter pin on my Daimler.
Peter
alastairq

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talking of cotter pins.....

In amongst the etcetras mentioned as being removed, have you removed the cotter pin?
Then the kingpin should just slide out.
Usually, brutality is the answer.
safechief

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:34 pm    Post subject: FORD PREFECT KING PINS Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies so far. I did remove the cotter pin without problems. It is the swivel pin itself which won't move. I have seen elsewhere that a windy hammer might vibrate it loose , also that cutting away the washer at the top and knocking the pin downwards to free it may start it moving. So that's for tomorrow I guess. Looks like the A frame-radius rods- must come off with the axle according to the workshop manual. What joy!
best car ever Daimler V8 saloon 1965, cost me £450. first car Model y Ford cost £15.cars ove 50 years A40 Devon, a30, 35 , consul 375,mini cooper 1962 herald,viva hb Opel ascona, austin1100 capri mk2 many cortinas, saab
Peugeot, renault etc
alastairq

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disconnect brakes at tree, disconnect steering arm or drag, undo cover [buy a new rubber ball]....having jacked up chassis, wheel the whole axle & A frame away.
SImples? I make that, one steering joint, one split pin, and one rubber ball [the old one will be oil perished anyway] Oh, & undo shockers....either at arm, or unbolt from chassis intact.
Rootes75

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't get them out on my 7W so after all the heating and bashing and pressing we ended up removing the axle and taking it to my friend with a large bench press, one push on that and it was out!!
peter scott

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A large bench vice can exert pretty good pressure if you can support the item for horizontal operation.

Peter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: