classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Electric Moggy Minor
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:12 am    Post subject: Electric Moggy Minor Reply with quote

Morning all,

I've seen the odd reference to this '53 Moggy in a few places before, but it was interesting to have a further read about it this morning:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cars/features/prelude-e-minor-prototype-electric-morris-might-change-world/

If I lived and commuted in a city, I'd be quite happy to run a converted car like this, so long as it proved to be a reliable conversion and the range was liveable with.

Thoughts on such conversions going into the future?

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Miken

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it as well. Presumably this sort of conversion is the sort of thing that will save some old cars from the scrap heap in the next 20-30 years as they get legislated off the roads? 40 mile range is rather poor though.
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea of the conversion being reversible and the fact that it retains the original gearbox - my main beef with a manual box is the constant clutchwork in stop-start traffic, but of course that wouldn't be necessary with an electric motor. I keep seeing people say that electric cars don't need gears as the motors have so much torque, but I suspect they haven't seen roads like we have in this part of Wales - roads that can climb steeply for a solid 2 or 3 miles. I reckon without gears the motor will overheat and likely burn out on a climb like that, if it's calculated to run at main road speeds. OK, this Minor conversion isn't likely to be pulling up from Abergavenny to Blaenavon any time soon but I think it points the way forward.

As for the range, it does say in the article that the batteries are a) secondhand and b) don't take up a lot of space - a few packed in under the bonnet and a few where the now-redundant petrol tank would be. How much space do new electric cars give up to batteries to achieve the sort of range that's often claimed?
Penman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
I have seen that comment about gears as well, but surely if you had some gears maybe 3 or even 2 then you could cruise in a higher one and it wouldn't drain the battery as fast as using higher revs in the electric motor.

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
Ray White

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don’t either like or dislike the e minor. For me, it is the cost that puts things into perspective. At £10,000 for the kit it does not compare favourably with another alternative; should we be forced to ditch petrol altogether, which I doubt will happen. For a fraction of the cost one could convert to LPG and still retain the engine. Whether anyone would want to keep the original (under powered ) unit is a matter of choice but even a 1098 LPG transplant would cost less.

I have used LPG for several years and in my opinion the classic car fraternity could be missing a trick if we are not prepared for change. If there IS a serious threat to continued use of petrol then I would think LPG has to be the best alternative. I know we have discussed this topic before so sorry for the digression - I just think we shouldn’t throw the baby out with the bath water.
badhuis

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fully agree on Rays view. The cost is just too much & LPG is a perfect alternative which does not pollute.
traction39

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CO2 or CO if incomplete combustion?

Citroen Light 15 1953, "12" 1939,
Riley 9 Special 1932
Ray White

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="traction39"]CO2??[/quote

The LPG system fitted to my Range Rover P38 does not have to be tested for CO2. at the MOT. I am not an expert but I understand LPG produces about 11% less CO2 (at the tailpipe) than modern petrol cars.

Edit : I have done more research and it would seem that I am not up to date with my facts. Apparently, LPG research has not kept pace with developments in the field of alternative fuels. Many of the original perceived benefits have been superseded by other systems so my enthusiasm for LPG may be misplaced. It is still a clean fuel but optimum tuning (which our non computerised cars can’t hope to achieve) is needed to get the ful benefit.

HeyHo. Rolling Eyes
traction39

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, those carbon atoms have to go somewhere...not to mention the nitrogen that comes in with the air!!
As you say, just gives lower levels - less carbon going into the system...

Citroen Light 15 1953, "12" 1939,
Riley 9 Special 1932
MVPeters

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It won't surprise you to know there is a YouTube video on the electric MM - several, in fact.

Here's one....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1JeK6sEhs8
Ray White

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps someone should tell him that the trunnions should be oiled and not greased.?
Paul fairall

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is something I've been thinking about for a while now but the cost doesn't make any sense. Ok for anyone living and driving in London, yes it makes sense both for the environment and running costs. What I would like is around 50hp and 100 mile range and if I did it myself with help from a machine shop, as I no longer have access to large enough lathes and milling machines. I watched the wheeler dealers Maserati electric upgrade in USA, where they fitted a new motor that was two motors connected together and new control system, can't remember the cost but it wasn't cheap but had loads of go. Of course in my dreams I would have 250hp 4 wheel drive on my ford popular.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: