classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

New member with Ford Popular
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
billybob

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 8:29 pm    Post subject: New member with Ford Popular Reply with quote

First post on here Very Happy
Recent purchase of 1956 103e Popular, which I have been working on to get it back on the road. (ongoing) Confused
Ray White

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Bob. You are welcome here. My first car was a Ford Pop and it cost me just £2. Back in 1970 you could find all the spare parts you needed at your local scrap yard where these poor old cars were piled one on top of another. My Dad was unhappy about having the Pop next to his new car so it didn’t stay long!

It would be great to see some photos of your car. I find ‘Postimage’ easy to use. Please tell us about how you are getting on with getting her roadworthy again. We are all addicted to the oily bits here. Laughing [/list]
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard, there are a number of sidevalve Ford owners in these parts. It'd be neat to see a thread about the Pop in the Your Cars ... Ford category sometime.

Does your Pop need lots doing to it?

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Rootes75

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear of another Ford onboard. Any pics available?
Ashley

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a few Pops and a Prefect back in the sixties, the big ends used to go. I lived in Hitchin in Hertfordshire then, near Jacks Hill scrap yard on the A1, so on a Saturday morning, usually in winter, I’d go over with a friend, pay a fiver and take the engine out of a scrapper and fit it to mine. It was miserable and cold and there was nowhere to wash your hands.

Another time I bought one in a pub on a Saturday because, come closing time, the clutch wouldn’t disengage. Cost me £3 10 shillings. We propped the back of the car up, took off the rear axle and then the gearbox to find one of the nuts had come off a clutch release arm. We put it back on riveted it to prevent a repeat and set of for home just before evening opening time and in the dark. As usually frozen to the marrow and covered in oil and grime.

They were solidly made, old fashioned, simple and basic and easy for anyone to repair. I don’t want another though, maybe a model A.
billybob

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your posts, I have owned several classic cars over the years and had retired ( I thought) from them.
As a small boy in the fifties I remember trips and picnics in my Grandpa’s Ford Popular and started to look at them with a view to buy one.
I looked at a few but the body’s were to rusty and the trim tatty.
The one I have purchased has a very tidy body and underside and has been re sprayed in the nineties it has 33,500 on the clock, matching engine and chassis numbers and was first registered 2 days before my birth.
It’s still not running well (see Ford section) but I am enjoying ‘tinkering’ again.

Jeff.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: