classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Car Trailer Insurance
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
whiteshadow

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:19 pm    Post subject: Car Trailer Insurance Reply with quote

Hi,

This weekend I'm hiring a car transporting trailer to take my Singer to the national weekend. I'm a bit concerned that while both cars are fully insured, the trailer is only covered for third party while attached to the tow car....what happens if it's nicked while i'm out of the rally??. There do seem to be some insurance products, but so far I have only found whole year high cost ones.

....anybody done this before??
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was on the market for a trailer I looked at a couple of used ones....both had had their chassis plates removed....Therein lies the reason why insurance costs are high, they are easily nickable.

I ended up purchasing a new trailer, I was going to insure it, however the cost was about 8% of the trailer value, it's 10 years old now so had I insured it I would have almost have paid for it again!

Dave
whiteshadow

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:37 am    Post subject: Trailer Insurance Reply with quote

Thanks for the Reply Dave!.

In the end I brought a wheel lock & tow hitch lock for peace of mind and because I couldn’t find any suitable insurance. Thought they could be used in the future.

I’ll definitely be looking to get my own trailer!....... It was nightmare hiring one! When I collected the trailer, the one they allotted me was huge...nearly 7m long and with this and the Discovery 5 tow car (~5M & poor turning circle!) meant I started to sweat at all but the largest junctions and lorry parks. Added to this the small Singer fitted between the inner tyre rails with ZERO excess, and all they could give me for the car transporter was two old cargo straps, meaning I had to get inventive with the straps I had at home, getting oily trying to tie the chassis down.
Obviously I won’t be using that hire place again, but the stress of deperately trying to get everything safe and secure (+beating Sun) while the minutes tick past your departure time and all you face is extra time on a Friday afternoon on the M25, is not someting I want to repeat.

Note to Self: Either get my own small trailer or Find a decent firm who will listen and hire the day before!.
Peter_L

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There can be great peace of mind in having one's own kit.
viteran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
I don’t know where you live but my retirement present to myself 5 years ago was a car trailer.
I had problems getting what I wanted and ended up having it made to my specifications by MOTIV trailers in Shropshire ( other than buying a trailer I have no connection with them)
I was very pleased with the result ( I actually live in South Yorkshire).
They also hire trailers as well
Ian
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: