classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Question for the welders among us
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration
47Jag

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 11:53 pm    Post subject: Question for the welders among us Reply with quote

I need to weld some 2mm plates together and am wondering if metal this thick can be MIG welded? I see Lidl are selling a couple of stick type welders. One is the regular style but the other is an Inverter Welder. Does anyone have experience of this type of welder. Is it preferable to the old style stick welders.
Advice please.

Art
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it depends on the MIG welder. 2mm isn't all that big, I think I'd probably just about get away with that on my 90A MIG, but probably only if I didn't run it at the far end of an extension cable. I've welded quite a bit of 16SWG, which is 1.6mm, on the extension lead, so a decent 130A or more would probably kill it.
D4B

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just repaired part of a Kubota Tractor cutting deck with my little Clarke 135 Mig Welder, that part must have been 5mm thick. No poblem on Max setting!
47Jag

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks boys,

My welder is a Migmate 120 so it should be OK. As well as stepping up the current do I give it extra gas too? I can only weld from one side, so I need good penetration. Ooh err, what I just said

Art
Penguin45

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take it that this is a butt weld? Don't turn the gas up as the increased flow will have a cooling effect. You will almost certainly have to up the wire speed though. At 2mm thick you might want to bevel the edges slightly to create a trough. This will help with full penetration.

P45.
D4B

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I bevelled the edges, and increased the wire speed, but gas was
just as normal.
Clactonguy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:47 pm    Post subject: mig welding Reply with quote

ideally a test piece ought to be tried. would have no hesitation suing my MiG welder on that thickness as I tend to burn through anything thinner than 1-1.2mm
much depends on power of. welder .rod speed etc .I never use gas!
colwyn500

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Question for the welders among us Reply with quote

47Jag wrote:
I need to weld some 2mm plates together and am wondering if metal this thick can be MIG welded? I see Lidl are selling a couple of stick type welders. One is the regular style but the other is an Inverter Welder. Does anyone have experience of this type of welder. Is it preferable to the old style stick welders.
Advice please.

Art

As others have said it's easier to achieve if butt-welded. Ideally there should be a small gap between the two plates and/ or the bevelling of the edges.
If it's a lap weld then you can't really go wrong as you can linger a long time whilst you weld and you're still unlikely to blow through.
Gently swirling the nozzle in small circles as you move helps for me and you will find it easier with 0.8mm welding-wire although 0.6mm at a high speed will work.
MIG can achieve really tidy welds on thicker steel.
consul 57

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i bought the lidl inverter welder, nice bit of kit for the price, easy to use.
i welded some 2mm thick steel with it no problem.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: