classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

The best penetrating oil or releasing fluid?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice
Ellis

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:33 pm    Post subject: The best penetrating oil or releasing fluid? Reply with quote

I took the daily "modern" to an old established country garage on Friday and happened to arrive at "morning cuppa" time and I was kindly given a mug of tea with enough tannin to scour a sewer pipe.

The shelves has penetrating oils for their own use - the usual, WD40, Duff and others and I asked one of the joint proprietors which in his opinion was the best.

"None of them" was the short answer.

Their favourite and most used was a 50/50 mixture of "Three In One" oil and white vinegar.
Apparently it will release or unseize anything that they would not heat up with a gas axe and is ideal for rust seized nuts and bolts.

I'd never heard of that one.

Have you?

1964 Jaguar Mark 2 3.4 litre
1962 Land Rover Series 2a 88"
2002 BMW M3 E46 Cabriolet
MVPeters

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acetone + diesel or ATF seem to be the favourites 'round 'ere.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. I often use a drop of diesel if something's not playing ball.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried the acetone and ATF mix and not been very impressed TBH - maybe the grade of ATF makes a difference? Plusgas is my preferred fluid at the moment, but hard to come by these days - you might find one or possibly two sellers on fleabay but forget finding it in a shop anywhere nearby. I think it's more common in aerosols but I don't like aerosols for stuff like this, you seem to pay a lot for the can and propellant while getting very little of the product, much of which will go to waste anyway.
peter scott

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although it sound unlikely I have had success with Coca Cola.

Peter
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bitumen Boy wrote:
I've tried the acetone and ATF mix and not been very impressed TBH - maybe the grade of ATF makes a difference? Plusgas is my preferred fluid at the moment, but hard to come by these days - you might find one or possibly two sellers on fleabay but forget finding it in a shop anywhere nearby. I think it's more common in aerosols but I don't like aerosols for stuff like this, you seem to pay a lot for the can and propellant while getting very little of the product, much of which will go to waste anyway.
I had a "tin" of Plusgas that lasted me over 10 years, the same sized aerosol lasted about a month Shocked as well as all propellants, loads gets wasted as it sprays a large area rather than just adding the couple of drops that a tin would.
A tip I was once given when dealing with a seized component is to actually try and tighten it a tad first....

Dave
Peter_L

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="ukdave2002"]
Bitumen Boy wrote:

A tip I was once given when dealing with a seized component is to actually try and tighten it a tad first....
Dave

Back in the day (1960's Coal Board), we frequently had to deal with seized bolts and the practice of applying tightening force first was often the norm. Plus-Gas in gallon containers was the product of choice.

When I worked at the Vinegar Brewery, a mixture of diesel and white vinegar was both popular and abundent, I have no idea of the proportions but the idea was the vinegar softened or dissolved rust and the diesel provide lubrication to the newly acquired spaces.

We didn't have the same access to impact wrenches back then, I wasn't convinced until I was invited to try one. Two days later I went shopping.
Used in conjunction of heat (where appropriate), release/lubrication agents and gentle repetitive persuasion I would not want to be without one. Used it only a handful of times in the last 2 years but saved hours or even days of difficult and tiring struggles.
kevin2306

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like plus gas, have a couple of tins that I decanter into a small pump type oil can, I also have an aerosol version should it be more convenient.
For those times when a small component needs de-seizing, I place. It in a container of diesel, leave for a few days and it seems to work.

Kevin
trampintransit

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The solution I arrived at was ...soak it in GT85...leave for ten minutes, then thin motor oil...the former seems to get the latter moving into the invisible gaps!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: