classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Q Bond adhesive?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
alastairq

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:01 pm    Post subject: Q Bond adhesive? Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PVOdRx4SSA

Video above explains the stuff....next door neighbour has just used some, and is pleasantly surprised at how effective it is. I've not heard of the stuff, but I was wondering if anyone on here had used it for auto repairs? If so, how good/bad/indifferent was it?

What pleased me was the shelf life of the superglue once opened. [2 years, if stored correctly]
Ray White

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought some a while back and was not overly impressed. I think it depends what you want to stick.
47p2

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used it to repair a small pin hole in an oil cooler. Saved me stripping half the car to bits and saved a fortune on a replacement part
alastairq

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the sort of 'experience' I find welcome.

As an item in the on-board toolkit, it seems to have merit?

I admit to doing little further research,but, what other modern tech products are there out there, with similar properties?

I only have experience of using so-called 'chemical metal' to produce some essential parts for an inlet manifold.....[joining Ford stubs to little independant alloy stubs for twin SU's..for example...worked fine, as far as I could tell]...plus, I have sealed leaky petrol tank seams with that stuff that comes in a roll, like Rolo....where one chops off a bit, squidges it up in one's fingers, and applies to the point in question. [I have had poor results with Plastic Padding fuel tank sealer]....So a roll of that sits in my tool roll.....
Ray White

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alastairq wrote:
That's the sort of 'experience' I find welcome.

As an item in the on-board toolkit, it seems to have merit?

I admit to doing little further research,but, what other modern tech products are there out there, with similar properties?

I only have experience of using so-called 'chemical metal' to produce some essential parts for an inlet manifold.....[joining Ford stubs to little independant alloy stubs for twin SU's..for example...worked fine, as far as I could tell]...plus, I have sealed leaky petrol tank seams with that stuff that comes in a roll, like Rolo....where one chops off a bit, squidges it up in one's fingers, and applies to the point in question. [I have had poor results with Plastic Padding fuel tank sealer]....So a roll of that sits in my tool roll.....

I think you could be talking about 'JB weld' ?
I have found a range of epoxy replacement metal products that is used in industry and the military. It is called "Belzona". It claims to be several times stronger than JB Weld but it is very expensive. I bought the smallest quantity available and successfully repaired a large frost crack in the water jacket of my Dodge engine.
http://www.belzona.co.uk/en/index.aspx
47p2

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alastairq wrote:
I only have experience of using so-called 'chemical metal'

My experience of Chemical Metal wasn't good, used it on a porous Range Rover rear diff backplate and it still leaked afterwards. However I did use a commercial USA made type of chemical metal many years ago to patch the sump of a Mini my wife managed to put a hole in and it held for at least a year until I sold the car...

alastairq wrote:
I have sealed leaky petrol tank seams with that stuff that comes in a roll, like Rolo....where one chops off a bit, squidges it up in one's fingers, and applies to the point in question. [I have had poor results with Plastic Padding fuel tank sealer]....

I forgot I used Q-Seal to seal a pinhole in a petrol tank and it also worked perfectly, I did give it two applications and it never leaked again.

I tried the two pack (looks like plasticine) fuel tank repair where you mix 50% of each colour and apply to the hole and it was a waste of time and money. Maybe the pinhole was too small for the mix to go into, but it never worked for me. Q-Bond every time
47p2

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've also heard that super-glue mixed with some baking soda is a cheaper and almost as good method to Q-Bond although I've never tried it yet...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: