classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

SS JAGUAR
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Your Adverts & Ebay 'finds'
Ray White

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:48 pm    Post subject: SS JAGUAR Reply with quote

I wonder if this ideal restoration project will fall into the hands of the SS 100 replica builders? It would be a shame to spoil such an original car. They must be few and far between in this condition these days.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1937-SS-Jaguar-2-5-Litre-Coach-Built-Saloon-Barn-Find/273381405770?_trkparms=aid%3D888007%26algo%3DDISC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D51875%26meid%3D3dedf011c1a745e1bc9b3e667d5e4d27%26pid%3D100009%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D2%26sd%3D113177049131%26itm%3D273381405770&_trksid=p2047675.c100009.m1982
47Jag

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recognise the seller’s name. He’s the son of Dave Davenport one of the foremost SS Jaguar restorers in the country. Makes me wonder why they aren’t selling it restored, or will their services be offered to sweeten the deal?

Art
Ray White

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have done business with Dave Davenport before. No problem with him. I might have seen this car before but not recently. Maybe they are just testing the market?
Rootes75

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have noticed this car on ebay, lovely lines and condition.

Perhaps you are right and they will offer their services to the winning bidder or maybe they are selling on behalf of a customer?
lowdrag

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankly it looks to be in a wonderful condition given the time it has probably been stored. I wonder how much a professional restorer would charge? Probably a lot more than the car is worth sadly.
Ray White

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They say it drives but if you look at the engine bay the petrol pump has been removed. I wonder if it has been refitted?
peter scott

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I first saw that car in Dave's barn in 2006 and always thought it was a lovely original old car. If I were starting again I would love to take it on.

Peter
Ray White

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peter scott wrote:
I first saw that car in Dave's barn in 2006 and always thought it was a lovely original old car. If I were starting again I would love to take it on.

Peter

I said I thought I had seen it before. Razz
peter scott

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: SS JAGUAR Reply with quote

Ray White wrote:
I wonder if this ideal restoration project will fall into the hands of the SS 100 replica builders? It would be a shame to spoil such an original car. They must be few and far between in this condition these days.

Well it sold for a frightening £24,600. A lot of money for a large restoration project. I really hope it doesn't become a money grabber's replica.

Peter
Ray White

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At that price I can only imagine it will end up as a replica 100.

I wonder if an unscrupulous person could pass off an accurate replica with correct running gear as the real thing.??.
Rootes75

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a lot of money.
Perhaps its just someone straight into the market or maybe with an attachment? That often makes peopel buy well above price.
Ray White

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is a little ironic that these cars, in their day, represented fantastic value for money. With MG dithering over their SVW offerings, the SS Jaguar stole the show.

Considering the late John Gallon's two seater Swallow sold for £40,000 at auction this year perhaps there is a knock on effect.?
MVPeters

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray White wrote:
..... I wonder if an unscrupulous person could pass off an accurate replica with correct running gear as the real thing??..... .

I have a feeling, though no real evidence, that after a few years &/or a few owner changes, a lot of replicas end up in this situation.
Ray White

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a few of us "rivet counters" who can usually spot a fake but there are also quite a few buyers who are further down the learning curve and could easily be taken in by a clever con.

With all the paperwork seemingly in order and a contrived history I hate to think what could pass for the real thing.

Not really a fake as such but I once took a liking to a Daimler DB18 Barker special sports. A so called "barn find". When the bonnet was lifted I could immediately see that the cylinder head,
manifold and single carb were from a standard saloon and not the all important aluminium head with twin carbs for which the cars were renowned. A very rare and expensive correction would
be required if the car was not to have a pedestrian performance!

The dealer tried to pretend that he didn't know much about the car but I would doubt that was the case.
peter scott

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are only about 300 original SS100s and most have good traceable history and there are very few non-survivors or missing cars. I don't think that it would be easy to find a vacant identity and pass off even a very good replica as an original factory car.

Peter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Your Adverts & Ebay 'finds' All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: