classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Morris 8 - where to start
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
hazard1yard

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:51 pm    Post subject: Morris 8 - where to start Reply with quote

Hello, I am new to this forum. We have a 1937 Morris 8, got it a couple of years ago needing some work but it was a runner. Unfortunately have not had chance to start on it until now and it is not starting. I do not know a lot about cars but keen to learn and would appreciate pointers.

Battery is good and I get a light on ignition but pulling the starter it does not even turn over (no clicks no nothing), tried starting with the handle and still nothing. Distributor and rotor arm look okay as do the fuses. Is there anything I can do to test if a spark is getting to the distributor? I am currently working my way through the original manual but the pages are covered in oil so hard to read as text from opposite side can be seen.

I would appreciate any pointers on this.
Thank you
peter scott

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take one of the plug leads off and attach a sparking plug to it. Then gripping the metal body of the plug hold it in contact with a cleanish unpainted metal part of the engine. e.g. a protruding cylinder head stud.

With ignition on get someone to crank the starting handle and you should see the spark jump the plug contacts.

If the starter motor is not turning when you pull the knob then try activating it directly by pulling back the lever at the other end of the control cable that connects to the starter motor itself. If that doesn't work then you may need to dismantle and clean the switch that the lever operates.

If you get sparks at the plug then check that petrol is getting to the carburettor. On the top of the carburettor float chamber (the part where the petrol hose connects to.) There will be a little pin sticking up. If you push it down then the fuel pump should start clicking and pumping petrol into the float chamber. If this doesn't happen then you need to remove the plastic cover on the fuel pump and carefully clean the contacts with a little piece of wet & dry (fine) sand paper folded so that both sides of the contacts are cleaned together as you push and pull it across their faces whilst pressing lightly on the outer contact. Do not bend the contact arm.

HTH

Peter
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum.

If it's not even turning over, check the battery lead connections - at both ends of each lead, there may be corrosion present. I assume the engine still turns over ok with the handle?

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
hazard1yard

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter/Rick, thank you both for the reply’s will give the suggestions a go, much appreciated.
Kevin
bjacko

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:23 am    Post subject: Unable to start Reply with quote

Make sure you have a good earth from battery to body. There should be an earth lead from the chassis to the rear engine mount area. To check earthing run a lead direct from the battery earth to the starter motor body and operate the starter. If it now turns it indicates a bad earth.
The ignition points and the spark plug points could also be rusty if it has not been run for some time.
The piston in the carburettor could also be stuck or sticking.
hazard1yard

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:42 pm    Post subject: Morris 8 - Where to start Reply with quote

So i took one of the plugs out and it is very badly coked, took the others out and they are all the same so just ordered new plugs and will try the spark test then.

Then tried manually pulling the starter by pulling back on the lever and got nothing. I manually turned the centre spindle in the starting motor from the end nearest the driver on the driver side of the engine (should it be able to freely spin?) several times and then manually pulled back on the lever and there was a kick from the starting motor. I also noticed that after it 'kicked' sometimes the centre spindle could not then be manually turned towards me but could go the other way manually.

I am just going to check the connection of the cable from the battery to the starting motor to make sure it is a good connection.

I can see there is going to be a lot of learning on my part Smile

The engine turns over okay on the handle, it is not stiff or seized.
bjacko

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:31 am    Post subject: Unable to start Reply with quote

Looks like you may have to dismantle your starter and clean off the rust etc so that the starter is free to turn and the drive is free to move along the shaft and engage with the ring gear. Don't lubricate the shaft though just nice and clean.
hazard1yard

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:37 pm    Post subject: Morris 8 Where to start Reply with quote

Thank you for the advice, work has been very busy not had chance to do this, so about to remove the starter motor. A couple of questions,

1. Do I remove the whole thing or just the part with the starter arm that has the cable attached? The reason I ask is that it looks like if I take the whole thing off there are some parts in the way which I may have to remove first.

2. How do I post a picture to this forum, just wanted to show you what I am trying to do.

Thanks again
peter scott

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it would be best to remove the whole starter motor if any part needs attention.

For photo posting see: http://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/forum/phpbb/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2454

Peter
bjacko

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:15 am    Post subject: Unable to start Reply with quote

To remove the starter you will have to remove the bolt holding the steering gearbox the bolt slides out in the wheel well, then lift the steering column up out of the way and the starter motor should be able to be removed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: