classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

PERSPEX caravan windows????
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans)
Commander Bond

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:30 pm    Post subject: PERSPEX caravan windows???? Reply with quote

I've just had a ridiculous quote to replace all 4 Perspex? windows on my Berkeley DeLight. I'm assuming they would be Perspex???????

That's my query, there are so many various plastics out there and would like to ask

A:- Would anyone know what it would be on my caravan?

B:- Anyone recommend a good supplier?

C:- I've practiced bending a curve on a scrap bit of Perspex/Plastic and i'm going to give it a go myself, so need to ask, which Perspex/Plastic is recommended for bending so it does not break or crack?

I know this is going to be a slow process for me and will try and reduce any risk of damage.

Answers on a post card please Smile

Joe Cool Cool
christine lowery

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

people have been bending Perspex to make caravan windows for many years make a former to bend it round or into, and warm the Perspex as you bend it there are videos on youtube
christine
Very Happy
christine lowery

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

people have been bending Perspex to make caravan windows for many years make a former to bend it round or into, and warm the Perspex as you bend it there are videos on youtube
christine
Very Happy
Commander Bond

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi CHRISTINE, many thanks for your reply. I did watch some videos on line and I’m going to give it a try myself. I’m
Told that polycarbonate is the best to use as it’s more dureable and scratch resistance. I’ve justvarrived in France and going to start on it while I’m out here. Cool Cool
52classic

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd suggest Amari Plastics as a supplier. I deal with the Cardiff branch but I think they are all over UK.

I've bought sheet plastics for all sorts of applications and I find their advice is helpful and the product range very good.
Commander Bond

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

52classic wrote:
I'd suggest Amari Plastics as a supplier. I deal with the Cardiff branch but I think they are all over UK.

I've bought sheet plastics for all sorts of applications and I find their advice is helpful and the product range very good.

Thanks very much, will prove all avenues before I get to it so will give them a call today 👍👍
Mog

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polycarbonate is the one to use . We used flat sheets on machines , so you could look in but not put your fingers in ! Perspex is a trade name for acrylic plastic . It is very prone to cracking , more brittle than polycarbonate . I think polycarbonate sheet is a little less clear than perspex.
Commander Bond

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that, most that I have spoken to have said polycarbonate was the way to go. I only need 3mm so should bend nicely once some heat is applied, to bend around a corner.

Thanks again
Mog

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have worked with plastics mainly grey PVC. Do not get the heat too close or you will burn the plastic . I would be using a hair dryer , check on Y - Tube .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: