classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Hot weather
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:36 am    Post subject: Hot weather Reply with quote

Morning all,

Is this hot weather (UK) that we're currently experiencing, causing any issues with your old vehicle that previously have never shown up before? I'd imagine that fuel vaporisation is rearing its head in a number of situations, especially with cars that are prone to this even in normal climatic conditions.

Are there any changes you've made, in a bid to stave off any problems occurring in the near future? For example, installing extra cooling to the engine, or making up shields for fuel line(s).

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This came up at our local MR meeting; there were a couple of local events last weekend (Morris & non Morris) that a few had attended, fuel vaporisation didn't seem to play a part in the few problems that folk had, despite the high temp.

Dave
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Audlem Festival of Transport is coming up, it involves a leisurely road run so I'll be checking things over prior to that, assuming the gearbox is now behaving in little Dodge.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of my issues are in my head - with regard to the cars, that is. I was dreading the thought of a trip to Llangollen in the Sportshatch (the Firenza has a Britax sunroof, so plenty of airflow) on a recent hot weekend, but it was fine. It was a little warm on the return journey, but once past the Wrexham by-pass the traffic disappeared.

I have a ticket for the show at Bodelwyddan Castle this coming Sunday, but the thought of sharing the return journey with loads of people who've gone up the coast for the nice weather is causing me some concern. But it'll probably be fine, and I can always avoid the A55 and just take a little longer to get back.
Rootes75

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not an issue with the car but purely the heat in the workshop whilst trying to work on the car! its so hot with no air flow in there and with overalls on I tend to need a break every 20 minutes just to take a breather!
mikeC

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Austin Seven seems to be loving the heat - it's going better than ever! A local hill with a 40mph speed limit at the start has always been touch and go whether I can crest the summit without resorting to second gear (3-speed gearbox, change down around 30mph); last weekend it cleared the hill without dropping below 35mph Very Happy
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rootes75 wrote:
Not an issue with the car but purely the heat in the workshop whilst trying to work on the car! its so hot with no air flow in there and with overalls on I tend to need a break every 20 minutes just to take a breather!

Yes, good point. I'm only doing small, clean jobs at the moment as I can't face putting my overalls on. Welding gloves? No chance. But there's no rush, and it'll all still be there when the weather breaks and we're all moaning about how cold or wet it is.
Rootes75

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats right, the summer is too hot so we want for the winter then the winter goes on too long and we want for the summer!
peter scott

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think I agree with anything that Donald Trump does but I must admit that I do like the effect of his global warming initiative. Laughing

The old car has an adequate cooling system so problems there.

Peter
lowdrag

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

E-types are, especially the early ones, well known for overheating what with the two bladed windmill that goes for a fan. Last weekend we had our biggest meeting of the year and it took 45 minutes to get in and park the car. But a few years back I bought a new fan that pulls only 7 amps and moves 2,000 cu ft per minute and bolts on directly in place of the old one. Quelle surprise! The temperature not only remained stable but actually dropped! After 30 odd years of people telling me I have a water leak I am mightily pleased.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: