classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

MG Magnette for sale
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
lowdrag

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:33 am    Post subject: MG Magnette for sale Reply with quote

Is this about the right price or not? I really don't know, but I do know I'd love to own it, Sierra gearbox or not.

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/24877/lot/563/
Ashley

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If that Magnette is in really good condition it is well worth the estimated price. I’ve seen the ZBs for double that.

It would be nice to have the crude old BMC gearbox as well, but driving will be easier with the Ford one and fifth is a useful overdrive for main roads and motorways. Magnettes are heavy and undergeared so a good gearbox is a bonus. Otherwise they’re a very nice drive IMO.
old iron

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I would say the estimate is about correct for the car, assuming it’s reasonbly rust free and a good driver. I paid £10,300 for my magnette recently and would say it’s a 7/10 car, drives very well, standard spec’ good honest car. I could spend another £1k to improve it further but see no need.
lowdrag

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to mention that there is some nostalgia involved because my Dad had a ZA and I learned to drive in it. POU 107 where are you now - lol. It was rusty back at the beginning of the 60's so no chance it survived. Watch this space - I may decide to have a go. Of course, there is the 15% commission plus VAT too so at £12,000 the car would cost over £14,000. But the trip to pick it up might be worth the price!
JohnDale

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice looking car. I remember them well,back in the day - lot of envy of anyone who drove one back then,cheers,JD.
Mikey77

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My father's boss had a new maroon and cream (plum and custard?) ZB Varitone back in 1958. Ever since then I've hankered after one. Forty-odd years ago my neighbour offered me his immaculate ZA for two hundred quid and I turned it down because it was black and didn't have the big back window. What a berk...
lowdrag

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I learned a lesson today. I logged on to bid and the car came up for sale. I'm watching the live stream and it got to £10,000 so I was ready to push the button. But what's this? It is already showing as sold at £10,000. The video stream was around 45 seconds behind the reality, so I lost the car. Or, to console myself, perhaps I didn't. If I had gone to £11,000, my maximum, would someone have carried on? We'll never know I guess. But a salutory tale for us all. Incidentally, loads of cars are not meeting their reserves, and it isn't age-dependent. A Stutz Bearcat, considered one of the American holy grails, didn't get within £60,000 of the minimum estimate, and many cars bombed.
kevin2306

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lowdrag wrote:
Well, I learned a lesson today. I logged on to bid and the car came up for sale. I'm watching the live stream and it got to £10,000 so I was ready to push the button. But what's this? It is already showing as sold at £10,000. The video stream was around 45 seconds behind the reality, so I lost the car. Or, to console myself, perhaps I didn't. If I had gone to £11,000, my maximum, would someone have carried on? We'll never know I guess. But a salutory tale for us all. Incidentally, loads of cars are not meeting their reserves, and it isn't age-dependent. A Stutz Bearcat, considered one of the American holy grails, didn't get within £60,000 of the minimum estimate, and many cars bombed.

Keep an eye out in case it was the owner bidding it up, they may have gone too high and bought it themselves!

Kev
alastairq

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lowdrag wrote:

Yup, been there, lost the chance of a Ford ModelY at a good price a couple of years back like that.
What you observe about items not getting good bids [reserves or not] seems to me to be the start of a downturn? On the Mustang Owners club forum , an early '70's Mustang went for useable Cambridge money, tidy, not too bad by all accounts....but well below expected prices.

I think the 'bubble' has burst, perhaps? Or is it all pre-Brexit collywobbles kicking in? Maybe property values will follow suit? [Doesn't affect me]....
In any event, if half decent projects are going for 'realistic' values[ in the eyes of impoverished enthusiasts, rather than investment barons]....then maybe we can get access at the bottom of the ladder, more easily? which could only be a good thing? [for us enthusiasts...maybe not those who buy to make a fast buck?]
----------------------------------------------
Ford Pop chassis, Ashley 1172 bodyshell, in pieces.
lowdrag

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep an eye out in case it was the owner bidding it up, they may have gone too high and bought it themselves!

Kev[/quote]

Might be difficult - it was an executor's sale! Wink
kevin2306

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lowdrag wrote:

Kev

Might be difficult - it was an executor's sale! Wink[/quote]

Fair point

Kev
alastairq

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

May have been down to a 'happy medium?' Smile
----------------------------------------------
Ford Pop chassis, Ashley 1172 bodyshell, in pieces.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: