classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Ebay again??
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Rootes75

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:27 pm    Post subject: Ebay again?? Reply with quote

When we visited Beaulieu last weekend my father and I found a NOS front wing for our Vauxhall Ten, the chap on the stall did not know its fitment. After a little chat with him we identified it and talked price, he had it marked up at £150, after haggling he would only take a tenner off. We wandered off to think about it, eventually didnt go back. On the drive home we thought it would be a decision to regret.

Funny then, looking at ebay this afternoon that very wing we identified is now listed. Surprise though is that the starting bid is £350! Also, its no postage, no couriers of any type even that arranged by the buyer.

I do wish we had have bought it but I now also wish we weren't so honest in our conversation with the seller.
Ray White

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be interesting to see if there are any more bidders. I wouldn't be surprised if the seller hasn't put in a bid himself to make it look like there is initial interest in his wing. I would be tempted to make a private offer as you have already been introduced.
Rootes75

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The chap is a long way from us and if he won't accept a courier and it has to be cash on collection we wont be visiting him.
BigJohn

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can always bid him for them at next years Beaulieu when he's been stuck with them all winter... Laughing
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rootes75 wrote:
The chap is a long way from us and if he won't accept a courier and it has to be cash on collection we wont be visiting him.

I can kind of understand the no courier angle. If it gets damaged or goes missing in transit then fleabay could come down hard on the seller leaving him £££'s out of pocket.
Rootes75

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have now contacted the chap, he says he has been told the wing is worth a lot more than hes asking, to him £350 is a bargain price.

I wont be surprised to see it not sell and be listed again or even see it at Beaulieu next year!
Ray White

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rootes75 wrote:
I have now contacted the chap, he says he has been told the wing is worth a lot more than hes asking, to him £350 is a bargain price.

I wont be surprised to see it not sell and be listed again or even see it at Beaulieu next year!

I am sure we have all shared a similar experience at some time. I recently sold a heap of 1933 Austin 7 spares; engine, gearbox, clutch etc. to a young chap who wants to restore his grandfather's first car. I let it all go for £100. I could have got more on eBay but I just felt if it would help get another Austin Seven restored by a genuine enthusiast then that would be reward in itself.

I once had to dispose of a lot of Morris 8 series E parts that my Dad had kept since the 1950s. I tried selling the stuff very cheaply at an auto jumble but people only seemed to want what ever they could carry away so I was left with engines, gearboxes, axles, steering and brake parts to take home again. In the end I donated everything to the Morris 8 club - and even they didn't really want it!
Rootes75

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also don't like it when someone tells a seller 'its worth a lot more than that!' In this case the part isn't so I don't know which expert he has spoken to.
PAUL BEAUMONT

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't do it!If you recognise something for sale and the vendor does not know what it is - assuming you want it, don't tell him what it is. See if you can close the deal by saying something like "I reckon I could adapt that for the speial I am building - Will you take £100" As soon as he knows what it is the price will go up. My interest is in 2 cylinder Jowetts. Cylinders frequently get advertised on eBay for an unknown stationary engine. If I want them I buy them but I never identify the use.
Rootes75

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, lesson learned. Keep my mouth shut!
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Following on from Paul's comments, has anyone else had any great finds buying items listed as "unidentified", but that you recognised?

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Rusty

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick wrote:
has anyone else had any great finds buying items listed as "unidentified", but that you recognised?

RJ

I also dabble in old stationary engines and in that field at a swapmeet I spotted a good carburetor for an American 1912 two stand "Stewart little wonder" shearing plant I was restoring. The one I had was terminally damaged and this was a real nice one. After talking to the vendor for a while (without disclosing what I knew) I bought it for $10 Ausy (about 4 quid). After which he asked, now that you have it , what the heck is it, so I told him ! He said, that all fits, I found it in an old shearing shed that belonged to a mate. He was glad to find out what it was and wasn't worried that he could have got more from it if he knew, and I was glad to get the part I needed at a reasonable cost. so everyone was happy !
Rootes75

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had a message from ebay to say the Vauxhall wing did not sell and has been relisted. Surprise surprise.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: