classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

1938 Morris 8-40 Roadster (Aust) Ground-up Restoration
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
Rosco663

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aussie8/40 wrote:
Rosco663 wrote:
Your Morris certainly IS different to any I have seen previously.

Quite awesome actually especially the bodyline embelishments. It will be an absolute pearler once done up. Do you have the bonnet flaps, windscreen and hood bows? One of our members has a Series I Dickie Seat Roadster but his has the suicide doors. So maybe I can get some pattern making done for you(no promises).

https://googledrive.com/host/0B9N43MXL4wmgeFFXTWd1ZHVQSWc/Kaehne.MarianKerry%20%281%29.jpg

I can't wait to see progress as it occurs Cool

Cheers[/img]
Hey Rosco
As Im totaly new to this Confused Im presuming embelishments are the bodylines ? I can't wait to start one striping her down, just getting the new shed put up first, then all guns a blazzing.
Yes I do have the bonnet and windscreen but unforetunately I do not have the hood bows, so will be trying to source this when the time comes.

Cheers
Tony

Gidday Tony,

I'll talk to Kerry and see if I can make a pattern of his hood bows Cool They may be close if not the same. Yes the body lines are quite interesting.

Cheers

Cheers
Aussie8/40

Location: Atherton Tablelands, Farnorth Queensland, Australia.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rosco663 wrote:
Aussie8/40 wrote:
Rosco663 wrote:
Your Morris certainly IS different to any I have seen previously.

Quite awesome actually especially the bodyline embelishments. It will be an absolute pearler once done up. Do you have the bonnet flaps, windscreen and hood bows? One of our members has a Series I Dickie Seat Roadster but his has the suicide doors. So maybe I can get some pattern making done for you(no promises).

https://googledrive.com/host/0B9N43MXL4wmgeFFXTWd1ZHVQSWc/Kaehne.MarianKerry%20%281%29.jpg

I can't wait to see progress as it occurs Cool

Cheers[/img]
Hey Rosco
As Im totaly new to this Confused Im presuming embelishments are the bodylines ? I can't wait to start one striping her down, just getting the new shed put up first, then all guns a blazzing.
Yes I do have the bonnet and windscreen but unforetunately I do not have the hood bows, so will be trying to source this when the time comes.

Cheers
Tony

Gidday Tony,

I'll talk to Kerry and see if I can make a pattern of his hood bows Cool They may be close if not the same. Yes the body lines are quite interesting.

Cheers

Cheers
That would be great
Thanks Rosco

Cheers
Tony
Aussie8/40

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:34 am Post subject: 1938 Morris 8/40 Roadster/Rebuild underway. Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post
Well finally after probably nearly 2yrs I have made a start on my 1938 8/40 Roadster. I had some help from my partners father who was an avid classic restorer, we have got her striped down to the chassis. The guards, running boards and chassis are at the yaght refinished for blasting and priming. The body panels will go in when I repair all the timber work so I keep her to shape.
I will post pictures soon.[img][/img][img][/img][img][/img][img][/img][img][/img][img][/img][img][/img][img][/img][img][/img][img][/img][img][/img]
Aussie8/40

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:33 pm    Post subject: 1938 8/40 Engine Rebuild Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,
I have my old 38's engine striped down ready to take out the crank shaft and pistons, then off to get the head and block shaved. I have ordered a head gasket set but need to find new valves, a set of rings- 0.10 oversize, and a sump and crank shaft gasket set. It has the 8Hp 948cc side valve motor.
If anyone could help with suppliers or any leads for parts I would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Tony
goneps

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

948cc? Don't you mean 918cc?

Best plan for spares is to join a Morris Register, either a local one in Australia or the one in Britain. The latter has a web-based spares shop with most commonly-needed
parts available online.

Richard
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The register spares service ships to Australia, there is a fixed £12.99 shipping fee, so worthwhile if you order a load of stuff, but not so attractive if you only order a carb insulating gasket !

Dave
bjacko

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:13 am    Post subject: Morris 8 Ser II Coupe Roadster Reply with quote

This is one of several bodies unique to Australian body builders. They also made Roadster utes (pickups), Coupe Utes, half vans, Vans, and even a convertible which was a ute where a van type box could be slid into the ute tray and become a sort of van. These non UK bodies were on Ser I and II 8's and the Ser E and Z also had unique utes and vans similar to the early 8's.
I own a Ser II Coupe Ute which as far as we know is the sole survivor on the road.
Australian body builders also made Ute bodies on the bigger Morris's.
There is currently a Ser I Coupe Roadster in UK which went via new Zealand and was recently advertised for sale.
1935Hillman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice stylish little car which will make a great project for you over the forthcoming months (and years no doubt)
Keep us updated, I'm sure you will
many thanks
trimmer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi I have a car very similar to yours and can supply some pattern for your hood bows.I got mine in pieces and would be very grateful for some photos of how the timber looks from the centre pillars to the back.It came with new timber but not assembled.Let me know if you want. Me to make some patterns for you.
All the best Barr
PS I am on the Gold Coast QLDy
bjacko

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:03 am    Post subject: Morris 8/40 Coupe Reply with quote

These chassis are prone to cracking in a number of places, such as each end of the front and rear cross members connection to chassis side members and along the chassis adjacent to the engine where there is usually a countersunk rivet.
It is also advisable to do an alignment check by taking diagonal measurements across each section etc. The best way is to find a panel beater with an alignment jig.
trimmer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tony I have a Morrie very similar to yours.I got mine in pieces and would love some photos of the rear timber work.Can you help please.Barry
trimmer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tony I have a 1935 model the same as yours.Would be grateful if you could contact me as I could really use a couple of photos of your car.Im on the gold coast in qld..My email is lovestreetbarry@gmsil.com.Hppe you can help.
Kind regards Barry
hunsta

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trimmer wrote:
Hi Tony I have a 1935 model the same as yours.Would be grateful if you could contact me as I could really use a couple of photos of your car.Im on the gold coast in qld..My email is lovestreetbarry@gmsil.com.Hppe you can help.
Kind regards Barry

Unfortunately Barry. Resonces around here are as slow as our 8's LOL.
Ive been waiting over 12 months for an answer to one of my questions for my E series project. And Im just up the road from you in Gympie.

Ps how's the motor and gearbox in yours. I have a good motor(was running when I took it out) from my E series
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone dropped me a line via Facebook, hoping to hear from other owners of 8 Roadster/Tourers in Oz, he sent me the following:

"I am trying to get in contact with Tony in Cairns who owns this vehicle that I saw on the forum. I have the same car. Could you please forward him my details glenamazingclean@bigpond.com... I am on the Sunshine Coast"

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: