classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Unidentified back axle
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:33 pm    Post subject: Unidentified back axle Reply with quote

Hi folks

I received this request via email, can anyone id this axle?

-----------

"I wonder if you and you website can help me identify this old axle I have .
I am looking for information on this axle. As far as I can gather it’s from the 1920s could be car or light van/truck bearings in mind it had only 5 stud Sankey(artillery) wheels and about 4 foot wide. It has a worm drive diff made by David Brown & son of Huddersfield and dual brakes at each drum. If anyone can help me trace what vehicle it might have been fitted to I would be very grateful."

-----------

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
mikeC

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A four foot track suggests a car of around 10-12HP; a Rover 10/25 of the mid-1920s had a worm drive and 5-stud artillery wheels ... Mind you, the 10/25 had four-wheel brakes, and the twin rear brakes on this axle suggests a car with two-wheel brakes.
Stevem

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike , I think that Rover used a under slung worm drive.
Ray White

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it will be very difficult to determine which make of vehicle this axle came from if all you have to go on is the David Brown name. Reason being that they supplied overhead worm drive units to many different vehicle assemblers. The overhead worm would tend (but not necessarily) to suggest a truck of some kind.

The only thing you can be sure of is that apart from the unlikely prospect of it being from a "Valveless" or "Dodson" which they made themselves, it is NOT from a motor manufacturer like Ford for example but from one of quite a large number of vehicle assemblers. A favourite, in my opinion, would be a big American Truck makers called 'Brockway'; built in New York and dating from the WW1 era. It could of course have been one of a number of different Truck makes from that period.

David Brown had a tie up with Timken and supplied quite a few motor vehicle assemblers in America with a quality off the shelf overhead worm drive units.

http://tbo.wikidot.com/davidbrownco
Stevem

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Ray, yes it may well be a light truck but I don’t know if it would be American 🤔 Would there have been American vehicles imported to the uk in the twenties ?

Regards Steve
Ray White

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stevem wrote:
Thanks for that Ray, yes it may well be a light truck but I don’t know if it would be American 🤔 Would there have been American vehicles imported to the uk in the twenties ?

Regards Steve

Surprising numbers of vehicles were imported from the States in the teens and twenties; so much so that the Government were convinced that British vehicle production would be squeezed out of existence and introduced a tax regime that favoured small bore engines. Ford and Scripps Booth at one time held half of the British market.! When you add in Dodge Brothers (like my car) and half a dozen other big producers you can see what they were worried about.

It could, as you say, be a British make but I don't know which makes used David Brown overhead worm drives.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Having done some research on line I would not rule out Dennis Brothers. From what I have read in a contemporary document it was the involvement of John Brown which led to the innovative worm drive in their first vehicles. It may be possible that this axle could have come from a WW1 "subsidy" 3 ton truck of which some 7000 were made; many of which found their way onto the market after the War.

Dennis used White & Poppe engines so it would not be out of character for them to fit a proprietary worm drive axle especially if there was history with John Brown.

Just a suggestion.
Stevem

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again Ray,
I will keep digging Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: