classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Rover P6b - what to do
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
lowdrag

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched the Car SOS episode on the P6 yesterday. Looked great on the outside until they unbolted all the panels. I know nothing about these cars but it does seem that a big magnet is a compulsory part of the tool box.
Ray White

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

COMMAD wrote:
Ray White wrote:
One possible reason why these V8 Rovers are not making big money is their prolific thirst. They drink like a fish.
Very Happy Very Happy I own a 74 P6b 3500 V8, and I'm getting 29 MPG on 98 octane fuel. Quite happy with fuel consumption as the P6 is a great drivers car. Comfort at its best.

I am pleased for you. In my humble opinion these are greatly under rated cars that are worth preserving for the future. We shall never see their like again.
Ashley

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn’t agree more Ray, Rovers are truly great cars and the P6 was superior to the contemporary BMWs IMO.

Everything rusted then Rolls-Royce’s included, but Rovers less than most.
BigJohn

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best I got from my P6B (auto) was 25 mpg on a steady motorway run at 60/65 mph. The worst was when I was on a gentle club run in the Lake district without a navigator, I had to follow the two cars in front, a hot MGB and a TR6 which took a detour onto a section of white road they remembered from a British Rally Championship in the 70's.
I ended up manual shifting to keep up, 8 mpg ensued. (overall on the day so heaven knows what it was on this fast bit). Apparently P6's always keep all four wheel on the road when cornering, mine was on 3 a few times according to the navigator in the MGB.
If worry about fuel consumption on a V8, don't buy one.......
baconsdozen

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Im doing well if my range rover does 14mpg. I suppose I could but a smart car or one of those eco things but I think Id rater walk.
badhuis

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got it home today. Wish me luck!

Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good choice! and such an undervalued car I think. As you've bought it, I may as well move this thread to the Your Cars... section where it'll be more easily found.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Ashley

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had an almost new one in the day and both my wife and I loved it. They were an excellent car. The only gripe was that the leather wasn’t terribly durable.
badhuis

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ashley wrote:
The only gripe was that the leather wasn’t terribly durable.

My car has the uglier Mk2 wide flutes compared to the nicer Mk1 version. However the Mk2 version seems to be more resistant to cracking compared to the Mk1 seats.

More people commented on how they loved this kind of car. I only have one experience, a drive in a friends car (which was similar to my car) about 25 years ago. Lovely smooth ride. I did not like the amount of plastic in his car, it put me off buying one myself for years. Still do not like the plastic!
jp928

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad! These are great driving cars, very fast, even if a bit softened by the auto box. I think they all had PAS. I have had several P6 and P6B manuals - converted one to SD1 5 speed. Best engine is the 9.25:1 CR version - spec is visible on the block next to the dip stick clip on the left between 2nd and 3rd cyls. Revs well, good low end torque, where the 10.5:1 CR has poor low end, strong top end. Major engine problem on early cars is poor oil supply to top end leading to rocker shaft wear. Handling can be improved with modern anti roll bar. If you do the engine, check out putting a 3.9 camshaft in it, or even a complete 3.9!
jp 26 Rover 9
badhuis

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I "won" an Ebay auction for a mint Workshop Manual (was the only bidder). What the seller did not say it actually is a new, non-used example and came with its original carton box, and separate chapters on Air Conditioning and Automatic Gearbox (both which my car have) came loose with it presumably as these physically cannot fit the WSM (too much pages for the binder).

Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice find - you now need a grubby copy for garage use, and keep the new original manual for bedtime reading Smile

RJ
jp928

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have that in soft cover still. Now all you need is a parts book - very useful for the exploded diagrams!
When I bought an SD1 5 speed (on company) new in the 80s I made including a copy of the workshop book a condition of the sale, and when it all happened the salesman whinged about the cost - he thought it was something small!
jp 26 Rover 9
badhuis

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday an old friend visited me and was smitten by the old Rover. He always wanted a V8 so a deal was quickly made. End of story for the Rover for me. Happy to know it will go to someone who will take care of getting it back on the road.
The new owner is deep into classics, owning a Landcrab Morris and a Willys Jeep for a couple of decades.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

badhuis wrote:
Yesterday an old friend visited me and was smitten by the old Rover. He always wanted a V8 so a deal was quickly made. End of story for the Rover for me. Happy to know it will go to someone who will take care of getting it back on the road.
The new owner is deep into classics, owning a Landcrab Morris and a Willys Jeep for a couple of decades.

Sounds like he should be posting on here too! Smile

RJ
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: