classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Dragoner 305s
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans)
emmerson

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:46 pm    Post subject: Dragoner 305s Reply with quote

Has anyone come across this French brand of caravan?
I've just brought one back from France for a rolling restoration, as it seemed a shame to let it be scrapped. I've Googled it but there's very little info.
The model number 305 refers to its length. It is typically French, being extremely basic, but functional. Aside from a bit of internal damp, it's in quite good order.
It's made more interesting for me as I know most of the van's history from the mid nineties, but cannot ascertain the date of manufacture. it has plastic double glazing, which make it probably late seventies, but a galvanized Alko chassis, but I believe the French were a few years ahead of us in that respect.
I'm too dull to do pictures, but if you Google Dragoner there are a couple there.
emmerson

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've started work on the old Dragoner, gently taking out rotten wood around the roof light, and breaking said roof light in the process! Fortunately my local caravan breaker had one! I will replace the roof paneling with plain plywood, as herself would like to paint the interior. It's all going quite well, except that I'm now suffering from a really painful stiff neck!
47Jag

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to your nearest Lloyd’s chemists and buy a TENS machine. Only a tenner. They are wonderful for relieving stress in your neck and other bits of your body. I has two self adhesive pads that transmit little electrical pulses into the muscles. It has programs for neck, shoulders, hands, back joints and legs.

Art
emmerson

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Art. I'll give it a try.
emmerson

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread has not exactly set the forum on fire has it?
Nevertheless, here's a bit of an update.
All the rotten timbers in the roof have been replaced with tanalised, and the ceiling fitted. it looks so good that we're going to lightly varnish it, not paint it.
Most of the damp side walls have been replaced with plain 4mm ply, which will be painted. The kitchen has been refitted to new support timbers, also tanalised., and the worktops modified so that Herself can manage to lift them, so no excuses for not being able to cook or wash up. External cold water submersible pump and Aquaroll fitted, giving more space in the kitchen, and twin gang electric sockets fitted each end of the kitchen unit.
The base of the wardrobe has been modified to accommodate our microwave oven, and front bed locker altered to allow for an emergency toilet.(my wife is disabled) Extra twelve volt lighting fitted, and gas system tested and found OK. There's still a bit to do, but it's now useable.
So, nothing yet done to the outside, except washed, so we might just take it to the Retro Caravan Club's New Year rally, towed by our 1986 Talbot camper van.
emmerson

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick follow-on from the above; I've now discovered that the van had a major accident in 2002, and had a complete new chassis fitted, after which it was never used. This accounts for it's superb condition underneath.
Lucky me!
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good stuff, I used to enjoy reading the caravan resto stories that would pop up here from time to time.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
emmerson

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, we took the Dragoner to the Retro rally, and nothing fell off!
It all worked well with no major snags except that it will have to have new upholstery, as the cushions are too thin for us old folks to get comfy, and of course it is very small, even compared to our Camelot camper van. It was very warm and cozy though, with two small oil-filled radiators on 24/7.
I think I'll stick to the Royale Rangemaster, though! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: