classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Too difficult?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Ray White

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:55 pm    Post subject: Too difficult? Reply with quote

Generally, we like to do our own repairs and servicing. I once came across a VW front brake calliper which refused to come off. Having broken two Allen keys I SIMPLY GAVE UP and handed the car back.

I was trying to do someone a favour so no financial benefit to myself but I had to tell my colleague I couldn't manage it... he was understanding... but it was embarrassing.

It's not just us enthusiasts who have problems. I remember visiting my late father in law when he worked at Doves garage in Woking. The expletives coming from inside the workshop were a sign that things were not going well.! The mechanics were trying to free a Herald rear hub from the driveshaft and no matter what they tried it would not come off.!

(When I had a similar problem on my GT6 I found the shaft had developed a ridge caused by the snap ring. I replaced both sides with good ones from a MK1V Spitfire.)

Have any of you had a job that proved impossible or is it just me?
peter scott

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray,

I had a very similar problem to you. I was replacing the splined hubs on the rear of the SS. One came off with a bang when enough force was provided by the puller but the other one wouldn't budge.

On advice from a friend I decided to let our local Jaguar dealership, Rossleigh have a go. I turned up on their doorstep with my half shaft and hub looking just like a royal mace but it wasn't exactly spotlessly clean. I was directed to their Service Reception that turned out to be a desk at the far side of the immaculate showroom behind which sat a young man dressed splotlessly with shirt and tie.

He took the mace from me without flinching and explained that it would be no problem. I returned after work on the same day and sure enough they had removed it for a very reasonable fee.

Peter
Ray White

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter. I have a tip for worn splines. If you make a 'doughnut' from foam rubber it will squash up between the wheel hub and the brake drum. It is surprisingly effective at stopping the back lash. Wink
peter scott

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ray. I'll bear that suggestion in mind. Laughing

I still remember my cousin's solution to worn splines was to slide small diameter hardened steel pins into the gaps once the wheel was on. Rolling Eyes

No, having once lost connection on a front wheel whilst braking I'm not inclined to run with worn splines.

Peter
Ray White

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peter scott wrote:
Thanks Ray. I'll bear that suggestion in mind. Laughing

I still remember my cousin's solution to worn splines was to slide small diameter hardened steel pins into the gaps once the wheel was on. Rolling Eyes

No, having once lost connection on a front wheel whilst braking I'm not inclined to run with worn splines.

Peter

I can't claim credit for the idea. I saw it in the on line MG magazine 'Totally T Type2'.

Dave’s Doughnuts – no you can’t eat ‘em and they haven’t gone stale!

["In Issue 50 we said that we now have a new supply and with the set-up costs having been amortised they can now be sold for £12 inclusive of postage worldwide). Please order from jj(at)ttypes.org {please substitute @ for (at)}. The doughnuts are sold on a non-profit making basis and the £12 includes a donation to THE MG ‘T’ SOCIETY LTD.

Since Issue 50, doughnuts have been sent to Gerard Monnin in France and Jens Broe in Denmark. Both have confirmed that they have done the job. Dave Heath (the Dave in Dave’s Doughnuts) has sent me some fitting instructions and these are reproduced below.

Fitting Instructions
The rubber doughnut fills the space between the brake drum and the wheel hub. As the spinner is tightened the foam is squashed between, locating on the half nuts * and the spoke nipples, stopping the wheel from turning on the spline. [not totally but 99% of the time].

* foam will cope with full nuts. Mine have been working for years!

The doughnut relies on the friction between the rubber and the wheel hub and drum, surfaces which must be clean of oil/grease etc. They fit the standard TA/C wheel and can cope with standard engine torque."]
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I recall my Dad getting quite ratty with someone who was driving around (in a Riley, I think) with badly worn splines on his Rudge Whitworth wheels. I remember him saying he wasn't concerned for him (the driver) but with the risk to pedestrians.
OuBallie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray White wrote:
Peter. I have a tip for worn splines. If you make a 'doughnut' from foam rubber it will squash up between the wheel hub and the brake drum. It is surprisingly effective at stopping the back lash. Wink

Or a small nail hammered betwixt, as Dad did on my first car, a Morris Minor lowlight.
Friend I sold it to later on wasn't amused.

Geoff - Backlash eliminated
1967 Morris Minor 2-door
2007 Fiat Doblò MultiJet (It carries the spares etc)
Model Engineering
peter scott

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peter scott wrote:

Peter

Snap! Geoff.

Peter
Mog

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did see on a series 3 Landrover with fine splines on the rear axle . The hub and axle were welded together , looked like it had been there for some time .
peter scott

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snap again!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: