classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Castor Shim direction Morris 8
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
TM8

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:50 am    Post subject: Castor Shim direction Morris 8 Reply with quote

Hi,
Busy reassembling the front axle and for the life of me i can't remember the direction of the Castor shim.
Does the thick side point to the back or front of the car? Help would be greatly appreciated.
Regards
Trevor
Rosco663

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gidday Trevor,

Looks like you are making good headway with your project.

I previously ordered the Morris 8 1935, Ser I and II Workshop Manual from the Morris Register of Victoria from Brian Jackson. He sent me an email the other day that should help you greatly. He writes:

"Please note there is a mistake on Page 73 which is repeated on page 75 wherein it states the castoring wedges should be installed with the thick edge to the rear, this is incorrect the thick edge should be to the FRONT.

This error came about due to incorrect information being passed on to me and the fact my vehicle had the wedges incorrectly installed. After reversing the wedges it made a big difference to the steering.

Brian Jackson"

Hope this helps and if you want to you can grab a copy if you need it Cool

http://www.moreg.org.au/
TM8

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:37 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Hi,
Thanks for the info. Book on the way in some Jet from the UK.
Progress is going but slowly all the parts i needed machined are done and have almost completed the rebuild of the spings.
Chassis is painted and new riv-nuts are going in.
Engine paint being stripped off as it was red, and then rebuilt.
Gearbox having the lay shaft gear heat treated in the next couple of days.
Diff have all the parts going to a company with the right tools to get the setting right as i had to buy a new crown wheel and pinion because the previous owner broke the last one and forget to tell me at sale time.
All the new parts required for the build are in my possesion and i need to get the new wooden frame done.

Regards
Trevor
bjacko

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:13 am    Post subject: Castor Shim Reply with quote

The manual was correct to start with, i.e. the thick edge should be to the rear. Sorry about the confusion but an "expert" mechanic said it was wrong when it was correct!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: