classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

registration of my 1949 Chevy 3100 truck
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Dccomms

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:06 pm    Post subject: registration of my 1949 Chevy 3100 truck Reply with quote

: hi hope you can help, I am a newbie to owning a Chevy
I am the proud new owner of a Chevy 1949 half ton truck
I am trying to register it in the Uk, but I am having problems, the paperwork I have is based on the engine number and not the chassis number, back in 1949 I have heard Chevy mostly based on the engine number

my engine number is GBA495415
the chassis number is 21GPA-2291

the dvla are wanting proof of the year the vehicle is made based on the Chassis number, I can send over there letter they sent me, or they are happy with a letter from an owners club or backed up info on why the engine number, and a letter from you guys stating this would really help
regards Derek
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The DVLA have tightened things up in recent years.. You are best engaging the clubs DVLA officer, this is the individual who the DVLA recognise as a trusted authority, the DVLA will require evidence that dates the vehicle, it can't just be the club officers opinion.
The DVLA will also want evidence that all import duties have been paid.

As long as GM have kept production records you should be ok. Or a US registration doc?. For Uk vehicles the DVLA will no longer accept an old tax disc as the sole evidence.

Dave

Last edited by ukdave2002 on Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum.

DVLA have a list of approved individuals and/or clubs that can authenticate vehicle registration requests. This applies to people wanting to re-instate an old registration to a vehicle that has lost its registration, or to people (like you) wishing to register an imported vehicle for the first time.

In your case, you'd need to link up with a DVLA-recognised American car club. There are several US car clubs in the UK, and I'm sure that at least one will be recognised by DVLA for these purposes.

When it was imported, did it go through the NOVA process? Does the truck still have a US title?

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
V8 Nutter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not absolutely sure but the engine number and chassis number is probably the same. You will need a NOVA document to prove import duties have been paid. The American title (registration document) always makes things easier. Richard Miller of the American Auto Club U.K.is officially recognised by the D.V.L.A. Contact Richard by e. mail Richard_miller235@hotmail.com. The club also has a web site and face book pages, just search A.A.C.U.K.

Don't know what's happened but that should not be a complete underline on the e. mail address just an underscore between Richard and miller
Dccomms

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick wrote:
Welcome to the forum.

DVLA have a list of approved individuals and/or clubs that can authenticate vehicle registration requests. This applies to people wanting to re-instate an old registration to a vehicle that has lost its registration, or to people (like you) wishing to register an imported vehicle for the first time.

In your case, you'd need to link up with a DVLA-recognised American car club. There are several US car clubs in the UK, and I'm sure that at least one will be recognised by DVLA for these purposes.

When it was imported, did it go through the NOVA process? Does the truck still have a US title?

RJ
Hi Rick
the vehicle was imported in April, it has all the correct paperwork, including NOVA and all duty paid
and yes it has a US Title which is tied with the engine number and not the chassis number
I will contact a few US clubs and see if they can help, thanks for your info
regards Derek
Dccomms

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ukdave2002 wrote:
The DVLA have tightened things up in recent years.. You are best engaging the clubs DVLA officer, this is the individual who the DVLA recognise as a trusted authority, the DVLA will require evidence that dates the vehicle, it can't just be the club officers opinion.
The DVLA will also want evidence that all import duties have been paid.

As long as GM have kept production records you should be ok. Or a US registration doc?. For Uk vehicles the DVLA will no longer accept an old tax disc as the sole evidence.

Dave

the DVLA will not accept the vehicles America document as it only ties with the engine number and not the chassis number, I know that in the 1940's some manufactures used the engine number as this was the most expensive part of the vehicle, but it was a bit hit and miss back then
just need some how in convincing the DVLA
Dccomms

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

V8 Nutter wrote:
I am not absolutely sure but the engine number and chassis number is probably the same. You will need a NOVA document to prove import duties have been paid. The American title (registration document) always makes things easier. Richard Miller of the American Auto Club U.K.is officially recognised by the D.V.L.A. Contact Richard by e. mail Richard_miller235@hotmail.com. The club also has a web site and face book pages, just search A.A.C.U.K.

Don't know what's happened but that should not be a complete underline on the e. mail address just an underscore between Richard and miller

Thanks Richard I will, great info
regards
Derek
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any photos of the truck to hand? Friends locally have a '53 3100.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Dccomms

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick wrote:
Any photos of the truck to hand? Friends locally have a '53 3100.

RJ

Hi Rick
I do have photos but not sure of how to up load to the forum
Bill Fillip

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derek, I realize this is a rather old thread, but I live in the U.S. and have copies of Branham Automobile Reference Book, which was the American equivalent of Glass's in the U.K. and a recognized authority used by insurance companies, to resolve disputes, etc. For 1949, in the half-ton section, it is stated that Serial Numbers GP 1001 to 31004 and Motor Numbers GB 1001 to 1031807 were used for the 1949 model-year. This prefix changes every year. In 1948, it was FP/FB. In 1950, it was HP/HB. If a scan of the page would be of any help, I'd be happy to post it or send it along.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: