classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

What did you do to your car today?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 119, 120, 121  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Rootes75

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally, new brake switch fitted on the lorry, new wiring and new bulbs and first press of the pedal we have brake lights! The lorry is now ready to head out on the road for some short trial trips to iron out problems and see how the refurbed engine and cooling systems cope.
She hasnt been out of the shed for about 4 years and that was when she was just a chassis cab. Some nice dry weather is whats needed now in the next few weeks.
kevin2306

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, nothing to the car but more prep work for servicing time.
The air regulator had broken on my compressor so ordered a new one, duly arrived and fitted so now I have a working compressor and air tools once more.
I’m hoping the thrust bearings arrive this week so the adjustable ramps can be reassembled, still waiting on the delivery of the composite gasket for the gearbox sump but have the oil on the shelf so good to go.
Been out walking over the weekend and it’s good to see the snow dropout, spring won’t be long now.

Kev
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dug out a few bifurcated rivets from a musty old Oxo tin, and fitted new bonnet corner rubbers to both little and big Dodge yesterday. Exciting times Smile

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Ray White

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick wrote:
Dug out a few bifurcated rivets from a musty old Oxo tin, and fitted new bonnet corner rubbers to both little and big Dodge yesterday. Exciting times Smile

RJ

I should do that. The only noticeable marks on the paintwork of my car are where the bonnet edge catches the scuttle.
Rootes75

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Removed the battery from my 47 Minx this morning, its flat so its on trickle charge now.
Always planned to keep her off the road and give her a thorough rebuild but recently having sorted the throttle problems she had I am tempted to put her back on the road. I missed not having a classic to drive about in last summer.
kevin2306

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished rebuilding my elevating car ramps today, my son (mech engineering apprentice) has done a great job of making new threaded components, I fitted them along with some better quality thrust bearings and they work a treat.
That’s all in the garage today (suffering with tennis elbow so the cold doesn’t help) but will have the singe4 in the air tomorrow, and get on with the new sump gasket then move onto the rear exhaust replacement.
Oil and filter change after that plus a general check over.

Kev
Rootes75

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the cost to replace the original Lucas wiper motor is so high on the lorry we decided to have another go at the original. Fully stripped it and degreased all the old solid stuff and made sure we cleaned up all the points and connections thoroughly. Upon attaching wires straight to the battery we actually got it working!
Just goes to show what a bit of perseverance can do!
alastairq

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rootes75 wrote:

Just goes to show what a bit of perseverance can do!

Do you get this stuff locally? Smile
----------------------------------------------
Ford Pop chassis, Ashley 1172 bodyshell, in pieces.
Penguin45

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Underseal.....

P45.
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeEdwards wrote:
Also swapped the top half of the fuel pump on the hatch for one where I'd swapped the valves for new ones. The fuel pump doesn't retain fuel when it's standing, and the engine doesn't turn all that quickly, so it can take ages to start when it hasn't run for a while. As the valves were the only part I didn't swap when I fitted the rebuild kit, I thought I'd see if it made any difference. I'll check again next week. If it's still running back to the tank, I bought a one-way valve so I'll have to fit that.

Had a look at the hatch again today. The great news is that it's retaining fuel in the glass bowl in the pump now, so swapping the valves has had a positive effect. This meant that turning the engine over very quickly drags more fuel down from the tank. Won't start, though, and after a lot of cranking there's no sign of wet plugs. So a new job on the list is to perhaps strip the carbs and see what's going on.

The annoying thing is that, prior to changing the pump top, it would start after a lot of cranking to get fuel, or by jacking the back end of the car up to help it. And now I've fixed that, there's something else wrong.
Penman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Get someone else to turn it over while you watch the glass bowl for fuel movement.
If there isn't any, then there is still a problem with the pump.
Or the inlet to the carb bowl is stuck closed, but the pump pressure should overcome that.

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's certainly fuel coming into the pump. When I leave it for a week or three, the level drops to around 1cm in the bowl, and after a small amount of cranking, it's as close to the top as it gets, so it's getting fuel in.

I think you're right, maybe the next job is to take the bottom off the Stromberg carbs and see what's going on in there. I've had issues with "stuff" coming in from the tank before, which I thought I'd properly cleaned out - that was causing the valve to stick open last time, with fuel pouring out of a random casting hole. So maybe it's gummed up again.

Cheers for the input.
Rootes75

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More work re-fitting the overhauled wiper motor on the lorry, not a very easy job where its situated.
Ray White

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it was a nice day so I could take the "26 Dodge out for a spin with the hood down. Unfortunately, on starting the engine it would only fire on three cylinders. The spark was good on all four and the plugs were working. I did a compression test and found no compression on no. 2 cylinder. I thought I had sorted the sticking valve problem that I had last year but no; it was back.

To gain access to the valve chest the 'through the block' air intake duct needs to be removed. It is bolted onto the exhaust manifold by just two studs; one of which also acts as a pivot for the manual advance mechanism operated from a boss on the steering wheel. Once out of the way the two valve chest covers can be removed. These are held on by two wing nuts. Once removed the offending valve can be freed by levering it's spring.

When I replaced the valve guides and valves I made sure everything was moving freely so why this is happening now I don't know but I will be adding a little Diesel to the fuel in future to keep things lubricated.

Another annoying thing is a leak from the oil pressure gauge. Oil was dripping down onto the hand brake which was unpleasant but I have stopped it leaking now.

My trip was delayed but eventually I was able to put a few more
miles on the rebuilt engine. No dramas but the ignition key is very loose in the switch and can fall out on the carpet. I restored the ignition switch but the barrel had broken and I could not find a replacement without changing the original "Clum " ignition key so I attempted a repair. It has obviously failed. Rolling Eyes
Penguin45

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fitted the fully rebuilt 25D distributor to the red 'Crab. 20 mins.

Fitted replacement headlight assembly to WifeBus. Took two of us three hours. Moderns. Mad

P45.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 119, 120, 121  Next
Page 26 of 121

Jump to: