classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Stuck at home?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Rootes75

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:28 am    Post subject: Stuck at home? Reply with quote

Anyone snowed in today and can't get to work?
Maybe a day freed up to spend in the shed?
alanb

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not snowed in we only had about an inch and a half but as I am retired and live at the top of a hill and don't need to go anywhere the car can stay where it is on the drive and I'll stay where I am in the warm.

Morris 8 two seater
consul 57

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sadly i work from home and can't have a play, also the vitara is having a new clutch today, bugger.
been out in the car to the post office, hardly any snow on the coast.
are you going to shepton?
Rootes75

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are roads were awful here this morning, my commute is 30 odd miles to Ilminster so I didn't make it. Its not worth bumping the car or getting stuck.

We are probably off to Shepton next weekend, have been a bit disappointed with the last couple though. We shall stop for a chat if we see you.
consul 57

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rootes75 wrote:
Are roads were awful here this morning, my commute is 30 odd miles to Ilminster so I didn't make it. Its not worth bumping the car or getting stuck.

We are probably off to Shepton next weekend, have been a bit disappointed with the last couple though. We shall stop for a chat if we see you.

ok not sure what day we are going we almost always go sunday, but in nov we went on the sat, much more cars!
look forward to seeing you if you are there.
Ashley

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It’s still snowing here and about 6" deep, but I’m retired so it just means walking to the shop to find all essential supplies have been panic bought.

My freezer is stocked cos I’ve learnt my lesson. Laughing
petelang

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you chaps agree, that today's modern tyres seem to be much to blame for the fact that, in even a mild flurry of snow, they have no grip and hence you just end up going nowhere. I know on my old cars, they generally have a bit more of a knobbly tread and they just grip and go.
Wife's Peugeot was totally hopeless, the tread was merely almost straight cut grooves and the slightest sign of ice it just became an uncontrollable skate.
My friends in Sweden though have sets of winter tyres, kept in storage in summer months, and I understand after a certain date in the calendar they are required by law to have them fitted. They are the types with small metal studs and very effective. Quite how our rubbish roads would hold up to such tyres, being as they are mostly breaking up all over, is for debate, but anyone here tried them?
Peter
47Jag

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Studs in winter tyres are very effective especially on ice but once the roads are clear the studs do tear the tarmac up. They were popular in Ontario in the late 60s but only for a couple of years as the Ontario government banned then due to the damage that they were causing to road surface. They are still legal in some provinces that get a lot of snow.

As to why moderns can’t handle snow, I think it’s because the footprint in moderns is so much wider compared to classics by a factor of 1.5 to 2. They aren’t able to cut through the snow like a skinny tyre would. There’s also technique involved. Most people nowadays will stay in someone else’s tyre tracks when moving over to ‘virgin’ snow is where the traction is.

Art
MVPeters

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've driven thousands of miles on studded snow tyres here in New England. They are fairly common in the North-East States. They are best on packed snow or ice.
The drawback is that the studs wear quickly on even wet tarmac, although they are designed to push back into the tread, much like cats-eyes. Given that UK snow doesn't last very long & is, in any case, the wrong kind of snow, I suspect their usefullness is pretty limited.
I'd suggest that Dunlop Town & Country tyres are probably the best bet.
mikeC

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a feeling that studded tyres are actually illegal on UK roads.
consul 57

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

modern tyres are not as good as older ones for snow, imho!
Penman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Obviously the compound is different, this was done so that they could sell us winter tyres.
But I think the most obvious cause of problems is the fat nature of modern wheels/tyres, I bet people running round in cars with skinnier tyres don't have the same problems (Assuming they don't over rev in first, that is.)

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
lowdrag

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure that the modern tyres are that much different, but surely the width of them is. My Jaguar wears 600/16 crossplies and comparing them to the 205/55/16 ones on the moderns they look so small. So is it that the old narrower tyres cut through the snow better?
roverdriver

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I lived in Daylesford, Victoria (Aus), we had occasional snowfalls. I would use my Model A Ford (Tyre size 4.50 x 21) and go anywhere that I wished, but modern cars would have difficulty negotiating even small rises on the road.

Today, incidentally the temperature reached 37 Centigrade so not a lot of possibility of snow.
D4B

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

roverdriver wrote:
I would use my Model A Ford (Tyre size 4.50 x 21) and go anywhere that I wished, but modern cars would have difficulty negotiating even small rises on the road.

So skinny tyres are better in the snow ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: