classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

'C' series cars
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Norseman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:48 pm    Post subject: 'C' series cars Reply with quote

I've never had any success with the search facility on any forum, so my apologises if this question has been covered in the past Embarassed

I'm currently considering my options for a Classic & the BMC 'C' series is on my list. Can anyone who owns/has owned the mk2 version of these cars, either A110/Wolseley 6/110 or Vanden Plas 3litre (not the 4ltr R) advise me as to their real-world experiences of these models?
One point of interest is the heating/demisting as my late father bought a new Austin A60 in 1964 & the heater was pathetic, despite numerous attempt to make it more efficient ie new 'stats, part blanking the rad with cardboard etc.
Thank in advance for any replies.

A great many models have served me well since the 'sixties, all of them old & some even older than me.
Norseman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Four weeks & nobody? Sad

A great many models have served me well since the 'sixties, all of them old & some even older than me.
Ray White

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a soft spot for the Austin Princess 3 litre Vanden Plas. I have had a fair amount of experience with two of these fine cars and can honestly say I would like to own one again but there are one or two provisos. Firstly, it is the mk2 version you want. If I remember, the mk1 had drum brakes all round whereas the later ones had front discs which for such a heavy car were essential. I suppose they could be converted but I have not done that.

I would go for the manual with overdrive version and free wheel if for no other reason that the automatic is thirstier. Rust is the biggest problem and as both our cars suffered badly back in the 70s I hate to think what state some of the survivors might be in!

(You say you wouldn't want a 4 litre R - but I would say if you tried one you wouldn't go back to the slower 3 litre cars. They are less attractive but much more impressive on the road and are also slightly better trimmed.)
Norseman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply Ray. The reason I wouldn't want the 4l R is that over the years the engine has been the subject of poor reports regarding longevity. Apparently it was a roller in name only but lacking the quality normally associated with that company's products. As for thirst, the C series engine was more economical even in auto spec. & finally I just love the rear-end styling of the 3litre Cool

badhuis

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest you buy an example with power steering as the effort needed at the wheel is high at low speeds (so much that I put in an electric power steering unit). That steering wheel itself is huge so if the drivers seat has sagged you will be looking through the wheel instead over over it Very Happy
I like the no-nonsense feel of it, big car, big interior, big seats, easy old fashioned mechanics, enough power. Much nicer in my opinion than the "bread and butter" four cylinder variants.
Go for it!
Ray White

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Norseman wrote:
Thanks for the reply Ray. The reason I wouldn't want the 4l R is that over the years the engine has been the subject of poor reports regarding longevity. Apparently it was a roller in name only but lacking the quality normally associated with that company's products. As for thirst, the C series engine was more economical even in auto spec. & finally I just love the rear-end styling of the 3litre Cool

I did not know that the automatic Princess 3 litre was more economical than the manual. In fact that surprises me more than I can say. I would welcome your evidence as it contradicts my personal experience.

The FB60 engine gives the car good power to weight performance but tends to overheat due to calcification. There is a waterway that is only about 1/8th" diameter so clogging up is not surprising. The engine is a military version and not as smooth as you would expect from Rolls Royce.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray White wrote:
...The engine is a military version and not as smooth as you would expect from Rolls Royce.

I had a 4 Litre R once, although I never got it on the road it sounded sweet as a nut to me, maybe it became coarser once on the move?

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
badhuis

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray White wrote:
Norseman wrote:
As for thirst, the C series engine was more economical even in auto spec.

I did not know that the automatic Princess 3 litre was more economical than the manual. In fact that surprises me more than I can say. I would welcome your evidence as it contradicts my personal experience.

I think two things get messed up here! What I get out of Norseman comment is that he feels the C series engine is more economical even in auto spec compared to the 4 litre engine. Not compared to the manual C version which is very frugal of course Very Happy
Norseman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

badhuis wrote:
Ray White wrote:
Norseman wrote:
As for thirst, the C series engine was more economical even in auto spec.

I think two things get messed up here! What I get out of Norseman comment is that he feels the C series engine is more economical even in auto spec compared to the 4 litre engine. Not compared to the manual C version which is very frugal of course Very Happy

Thanks to both of you. Ray, I apologise for misleading you & Badhuis has read my comment as I intended Embarassed Many years ago I had a Wolseley 6/110 mk 2 auto which on a steady 60mph cruise (the A1 wasn't as frenetic in those days) would return 24mpg whilst loaded with the family & w/e luggage.

Ray White

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the 4 Litre R was introduced, they dropped the Princess name which I think was a shame. They also spoilt the shape by dropping the Farina fins and replacing the nice rear lights with some ugly horizontal rear clusters. They also flattened out the waist line and deleted the familiar roof peak at the back.

On the plus side there were some improvements but the aluminium engines were strange with an "F" head which had a rather contorted combustion chamber. It seemed to have all the disadvantages of a side valve without the benefits of an overhead valve.

Norseman and I have discussed the problems of aluminium engines with cast iron liners (in the Range Rover for example); with liners coming loose, blocks cracking and studs pulling out and the FB60 engines from Rolls Royce had the lot. They were reasonably smooth but not smooooooth. Then again, the Rolls Royce V8 can be a crock of sh*t too.
Norseman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know much about the RR V8 Ray, other than it was originally a Chrysler design further developed by RR & could suffer liner problems as well, esp. the rearmost cylinders. You mention the fact that the 4L R had an IOE engine that had disadvantages from a design point of view, but then Rover used IOE extensively in both the P4 & P5 range with considerable success.

There is some interesting stuff on the 'net regarding the 4L R, some of which explains the reasons for the engine's problems, not least those of a parts supply chain.
Norman

Ashley

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Rolls-Royce V8 was their own and different from US ones in that it’s all aluminium with wet liners that seal on O rings. The grandson of the original designer works on our industrial estate. They suffer with corrosion, a build up of crud in the water jacket than deforms the liners and can cause seizures. Pulling the liners can destroy the block. The FB 60 R-R engine in the 4L R is not as good as a Westminster engine and more likely to require work.

The 3 Litre Van den Plas is a beautiful coachbuilt car of the highest quality and the Westminster/Austin Healey engine was the vest BMC made. It’s a beauty. I don’t believe the VDPs were sold as manuals and they were built separately at Van den Plas works with better paint and Connolleys Vaumol Hyde’s. They were real quality and no more difficult to maintain than a large A35/Morris Oxford.
Ray White

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ashley. We had a 3 litre Austin Princess Vanden Plas mk2 which was manual o/d from new. Lovely car. (Same colour scheme as this one - peat over stone with champaign leather).
exxon with diesel near me

I believe all the 4 litre R cars were automatic.
Ashley

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My apologies Ray, I didn’t know that. My favourite colour is black and green.

Interestingly my Healey 3000 has a rocker cover from one of those.

Ray White

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend of mine has a MGC. I think that engine was happier in the Healey, don't you?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: