classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

1969 Seat (Fiat) hearse
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Your Adverts & Ebay 'finds'
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:06 am    Post subject: 1969 Seat (Fiat) hearse Reply with quote

Morning all,

Many moons ago I did gently suggest to Mrs J that buying a 1930's Buick hearse that I'd seen for sale might be a fun idea. Apparently I was wrong. Given that I do get away with quite a lot, I let the idea drop.

These memories re-surfaced this morning after clapping eyes on this very unusual car, based on a model built by Seat under licence from Fiat, bodied as a hearse - I assume by an outside coachbuilder rather then Seat themselves? It was driven back from Spain by its owner, and has since received a lot of re-commissioning work, and is now UK registered.

Will someone keep it as a hearse, or try and convert it into a useful load-lugger by removing the fittings inside the back? Whatever happens, with that weird back end in particular it makes for a highly distinctive vehicle.

https://ebay.to/2T0yJlg

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
consul 57

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that car is local to me and appeared at our local show, looked quite good and unusual indeed.
badhuis

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does not look very friendly, does it? And with an absolutely crazy rear window!
Penman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if there has been some engine tuning.
A 4 branch exhaust manifold on a hearse?
This one seems to have only one pipe visible beyond the aircleaner.

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
poodge

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a bit of an oddball,because the Fiat 2300 4 headlamp version was a 6 cylinder.
In any case,with that heavy coachbuilt body,the 1500 would really be struggling.
All the same,I find it quite stylish.I would rip out the hearse components,and find a back seat to put in it.That might also lighten it a bit.
Penman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi poodge
Being a 2 dr you'd have to find some 2 door car front seats as well otherwise it would be an awkward clamber to get to your rear seat.

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
mikeC

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That exhaust manifold is certainly not standard Fiat 1500! The standard manifold is a 4-branch, but cast iron with quite short primaries - even in the sports variants they stuck to the standard manifold.
The standard 1500 produced 92bhp, so it was no sluggard and even with that body it should go as well as, say, an 1850 Triumph Dolomite.
poodge

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really IS a strange concoction,because the Fiat 4-cylinder was,as far as I know ,an1800cc engine.Being a Seat,it probably had to make do with a lesser engine.Fiat also had a 2100cc version,as well as the 2300cc top model.
I agree the bench front seat would have to go.No biggie,since it was never going to be original anyway.
Perhaps an engine swap would be on the cards too,within reason.An 1800 Fiat engine would of course be ok,but how about the twin-cam 125 engine?
They would at least be easier to come by.
In any case,I don't think the 2100 or 2300 engine would fit in that engine bay.I think the Fiat sixes had a longer piece between the front and the cabin.
Anyway,it's all academic,it's up to the lucky buyer,if there is one.
mikeC

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The four-cylinder Fiat engines of the period were 1300cc and 1500cc; the 1800cc was the smallest 6-cylinder. But you are right in saying this car is a 1500cc-engined 1800! The 1500 was available as a1500L which was the 1800 with the smaller engine, and I believe the Seat was based on the 1500L not the standard 1500 - cerainly that frontal treatment is pure 1800 not 1500. So, theoretically, yes, the 6-cylinder 1800/2100/2300 engine should drop straight in!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Your Adverts & Ebay 'finds' All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: