classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Rented Storage, untrustworthy landlords
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Rootes75

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:02 pm    Post subject: Rented Storage, untrustworthy landlords Reply with quote

I had an absolute shock yesterday when I got home from work, I rent a small unit on a converted farm, I have rented there for 15 years.

In the post arrived 4 separate Business Rate Bills dated 2007 through to 20011, total payable £2600!! As you can imagine I was not happy.

I have phoned the local council this morning and been told that this is all due to a mix up made by the landlords in not numbering the units correctly, I was told that due to their mistake the whole council team had been dealing with the after effects for 2-3 days! The lady said everyone was affected bar the landlords who have no bill to pay!

The council were actually very helpful, due to the circumstances they have given me the highest rate reliefs possible, 45% for 2007-11 and then 2011 on is at 100% (so no more bills). But it does mean by law that whatever they have done as landlords it is up to me to pay the old bill.

My landlords are a disgrace to be honest, they have lied to all of the tenants over this mistake and all of us are out of pocket.

I am more determined than ever to find alternative storage.
emmerson

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a lovely Christmas present!
consul 57

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds about right, never their mistake!
yes you need better landlords.
good luck
Rootes75

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wish we could all club together!
kevin2306

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How awful

Kev
Rootes75

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its sunk in a bit more now, I dont want to get in trouble so ultimately I pay the bill, they were nice enough to work out an interest free payment plan that is affordable to me.

It just all seems very unfair to be honest.
Rootes75

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its like groundhog day. After all the Rates bills being put on us just before Christmas and what we thought was a final settlement figure we have just had 2 more bills saying they have retrospectively re-valued the property back to 2017 so they want me to pay another £4000 by the end of next week.

We are left wondering if this is all worth it anymore. To pay this all off we will have to sell vehicles which just feels so unfair.

All our landlords fault for not sorting this out in the first place and then not telling us about it.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blimey.

Would it be worth speaking to Citizen's Advice about all this? Or is there anyone else you could consult over the matter?

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Rootes75

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have been on the gov tax site and it states that a rateable value below £12k is entitled to 100% rate relief. My unit is £3850 so I should be able to opt out of paying. It says though its not automatic and you will get charged if you do not actually apply for rate relief!

I missed a call from the local council office on Friday and it was the person who dealt with the whole case just before Christmas, I would imagine that she wants to talk that through.
Norseman

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do empathise with your situation & hope that a solution can be found to suit you, such as not having to pay for someone else's cock-up Mad
I stored two WW2 trucks in a converted barn years ago, the club paid the farmer for the whole building & then re-charged the individual members for the space(s) they occupied.

Wishing you a successful outcome.

A great many models have served me well since the 'sixties, all of them old & some even older than me.
Rootes75

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a shame that many likeminded people cannot club together for a not for profit classic vehicle storage.
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rootes75 wrote:
Its a shame that many likeminded people cannot club together for a not for profit classic vehicle storage.

I was recently offered a large unit on a farm, it would probably store 60 vehicles, cost was £3000 per month, I did think of doing exactly what you proposed, and even adding a 4 post lift for the "members" use.

The risk would be maintaining enough members to cover the rent, and any other liabilities that would need to be covered.

Dave
Norseman

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ukdave2002 wrote:
[
The risk would be maintaining enough members to cover the rent, and any other liabilities that would need to be covered. Dave

That is the scary part, my experience of people (even friends) leaves me doubting their reliability when it comes to putting hands in pockets & you could be left holding the baby Crying or Very sad

A great many models have served me well since the 'sixties, all of them old & some even older than me.
MVPeters

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rootes75 wrote:
We have been on the gov tax site and it states that a rateable value below £12k is entitled to 100% rate relief. My unit is £3850 so I should be able to opt out of paying. It says though its not automatic and you will get charged if you do not actually apply for rate relief!

I missed a call from the local council office on Friday and it was the person who dealt with the whole case just before Christmas, I would imagine that she wants to talk that through.

I'm not a lawyer! (& in the US so not familiar with Rates).

But it seems to me if the Council can 'retroactively' re-value the property & 'retroactively' charge you for rates, you can 'retroactively' apply for 'retroactive' Rate Relief.

Maybe?
Rootes75

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats what I am going to do Mike, I am contacting the local council on Monday to talk it through and hopefully get the rate relief back dated to 2017.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: