classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Austin 18 York
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
old iron

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:29 am    Post subject: Austin 18 York Reply with quote

Had the pleasure of owning a number of vintage cars over the years and now considering going for a post vintage.
It’s the Austin 18 York (1935) currently being advertised on carandclassic. It’s the green one.
Thinking that it would be good for teaming up with my vintage caravan which weighs about 950kg.
I reckon the Austin could manage that towing, would you agree?
Guessing that spares are not too much of an issue especially as I would re-join VAR.
Be very interested to read of your comments and advise regarding the general dring experience and ownership of a post vintage car. Thanks.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

It's interesting how "pre-war cars" are often lumped together, yet to drive a late 1930's car is quite different to something vintage, ie 1930 or earlier.

Looking at the back end of the pale green car, I imagine that you'd have to be creative when improvising a form of tow bar mounting, as the rear valance drops down quite low and the bumper irons protrude through the body rather than beneath it.

I'm sure it'd pull your caravan ok, although I don't know how much torque the 18hp engine produces, or how high up the rev band the peak torque figures are achieved.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Penman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
It used to be normal practice to fasten a strong cross member, particularly on the cars with those spring steel looking bumpers,
(I seem to remember angle iron probably taken from an old iron frame bed) between the bumper irons behind the Bumper and then drill through both to fasten the ball hitch.

The modern tow bar rules do not apply because:-
Quote:
There is one exemption to this rule. If you are fitting a tow bar to a vehicle which was first driven before 1st August 1998, your tow bar can be of any design and does not legally have to be of an approved type.

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10

Last edited by Penman on Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
norustplease

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have only owned one of the smaller prewar Austins, a 1936 Cambridge. It was pleasant and surprisingly quiet and smooth to drive, although as with many cars of this era, the steering could be rather vague at higher speeds.
I think that the Austin Ten Drivers Club spares operation would cover this model, since they tended to support most of the post vintage pre-war cars, regardless of horsepower. However, the relative rarity of surviving examples of the larger horsepower Austins might mean that some spares are a little harder to find and a conversation with them might be prudent.
Boring Tucson SUV
old iron

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for all posts with much good advise. Very Happy
old iron

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally managed to find a Austin 16/6 of 1934 vintage, the chrome radiator model. Very pleased with it, I will investigate a tow bar application ready for next Spring when the new season is under way (hopefully).

Thanks for all inputs.
peter scott

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'd be nice to see some photos of your 16/6 if you can.

Peter
old iron

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peter scott wrote:
It'd be nice to see some photos of your 16/6 if you can.

Peter

I will have a go at uploading, but my tech skills are derisory tbh.

No luck loading unfortunately Mad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: