classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Wolseley 14/60 Series 111
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Ray White

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:33 am    Post subject: Wolseley 14/60 Series 111 Reply with quote

The search is on for a classic car to replace the Dodge which has now gone.
Yesterday my wife and I looked at this 1939 Wolseley 14 and had a test drive.

The car in question has a London registration and was originally a police car, apparently. I was impressed with some of the work that had been done but although completely sound, I think it would need a respray as there were three completely different shades of blue on different parts of the car. The car presented in excellent rust free condition; however alignment of the n/s front wing was a bit "out and may be tricky to correct and the radiator shell could possibly benefit from some dent removal.

The o/s rear wheel showed some "rocking" which would need attending to and I noticed some clutch drag on the test run. Everything else apart from a little upholstery work and general tidying of the interior (carpets etc.) seemed fine.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/wolseley-14-classic-car/153420817974?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160908105057%26meid%3Dd4eb618441b9465c920f5a3451cfd543%26pid%3D100675%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D15%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D264244932661%26itm%3D153420817974&_trksid=p2481888.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci%3A532dc0c6-4c76-11e9-90c6-74dbd180f380%7Cparentrq%3Aa45bbdd41690a688c1d65fabfffb2315%7Ciid%3A1

The dashboard with white faced dials is lovely and the general feel of leather and wood makes this a nice place to be. My sort of car.

The Wolseley would make a nice, usable car and if it hadn't needed new paint which would be costly - I don't have the facilities for anything other than removable panels - I would have gone for it.

My thanks to William and his mother Babbs for their hospitality. Nice people.

Last edited by Ray White on Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do like the interior in particular, very homely.

If you'd bought that, it would have been a good excuse to watch lots of early police/gangster/robbery films of the 1940s to see if it had a starring part in any of them Smile

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Rootes75

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest that's some expensive work on a car that's already £10k? It is lovely, was the price negotiable?
Ray White

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rootes75 wrote:
To be honest that's some expensive work on a car that's already £10k? It is lovely, was the price negotiable?

That's what I thought!!!

I would be prepared to take on the car but at £10 k I think he will struggle to sell. How much would a complete respray to a satisfactory standard cost ? I can't imagine any change out of 4£k? and then how much would it add value to the car? I am out of touch with bodyshop prices so any offer would just be a stab in the dark.

There is also the question of the front wing alignment. The bonnet closes shut but the rubber buffers are all visible along the bottom edge which would at first indicate that the wing is not high enough...except that it is correctly bolted flat to the chassis and any raising of the wing by packing would put the wing out with the radiator and valance at the front and also the scuttle. I can imagine someone has been through all this in the past and given up on it.

I may have incorrectly concluded that the wing has been repaired in the past and the welding may not have been done quite right. An alternative might be a bent chassis rail but I had a good look and it didn't seem wrinkled or bent at all.

There are also some mysterious dents in the sides of the chrome plated radiator shell...and we all know how expensive plating can be.
mikeC

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If that's the sort of car you're looking for, how about this one:

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1075304

Not much more money,and it's (almost) on your doorstep!
Ray White

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikeC wrote:
If that's the sort of car you're looking for, how about this one:

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1075304

Not much more money,and it's (almost) on your doorstep!

Thank you, yes I have seen the advert for the Salon. We only get a few opportunities to view cars and the other one jumped off the page first. I don't think the Salon is as rare as is suggested but it's certainly scarcer than the normal 14/56. I am not sure about the styling; in particular having the spare wheel in the boot lid but the larger rear window would be useful.

As you say, Chapel en le Frith is nearby.

Thanks again. Perhaps you would fancy a trip out to cast your eye over it with me?
Rootes75

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That does look like a nice car, good deal of prevenance with it too.
Ray White

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rootes75 wrote:
That does look like a nice car, good deal of prevenance with it too.

Was the Salon de Ville dearer when new do you know? I think the differences are just styling and trim but I don't know anything else about them.

Incidentally, this same car was in the H& H auction at Buxton back in June last year with an estimate of £6,000 to £8,000 - and failed to sell...

https://online.handh.co.uk/m/lot-details/index/catalog/87/lot/41839/?url=%2Fm%2Fview-auctions%2Fcatalog%2Fid%2F87%2F%3Fpage%3D3
Rootes75

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And its now advertised at £12,750 ??? The same car?
Ray White

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rootes75 wrote:
And its now advertised at £12,750 ??? The same car?

Yes!!!!

I am personally not a great fan of the 'Salon de Ville' style. The rear of the car has the spare wheel in the boot lid ..where the car I went to see has a separate compartment. Secondly, the 14/56 has the square Morris speedo and instrument cluster which doesn't appeal to me.

The best option for me would I believe be the 14/60. The dash is traditional with lovely white faced dials and there are other improvements such as "suspension sequencing" ... ie., unequal length front and rear springs which improve ride and more power giving a genuine 70 mph top speed.

As the ebay listing has finished with no bids I have spoken to the owner about price and - despite me being the only viewer - he is not shifting despite the work needed to finish the car. The quality of the paintwork carried out so far is below my standards but probably would pass a less critical eye...but he intends to have it finished by the same guy...and then offer the car for even more!!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: