classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Local Clubs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Rootes75

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:48 am    Post subject: Local Clubs Reply with quote

Recently we saw a post on Facebook inviting local enthusiasts to get together for occasional informal meetings etc. we went along to the first meeting and it was good to see and speak to many locals with such varying interests, not all owners too.

Tonight we have arranged to meet up to view a chaps collection, and that is a large collection of vintage cars. It is a private viewing and I haven't known him to open up like this before. His collection is mainly pre-war and he has some very nice American cars, I will take photos and post them if he gives permission. Otherwise I will give a good list of what we see, we are looking forward to it.
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in a local club as well as the national vehicle-related club. The national club is great for technical advice about the car, history, general information and chat with people who have the same car, but the local one is good for attending shows in the area, we have a monthly pub-night gathering and various social events that aren't really feasible for a national club.
Rootes75

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, what can I say?

We visited a local car collector last night, he stores over two sites and what he has is awesome. I did take photos but as yet do not have permission to post them. He had some lovely early Rolls-Royces, some Lanchesters but the majority was early American, a couple over 100 years old!

My favourite I suppose was a late 30's Packard V12, superb car and very mush a monster.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing what's around and tucked away out of sight.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
lowdrag

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My greatest memory of a private collection goes back to 1995. While visiting clients at Numeaton one of the directors asked me, since they knew I loved Jaguars, if I would like to go and visit a friend of theirs. So, a short trip later, in the back streets of Nuneaton we pulled up at a little garage which was a small Peugeot dealer. And I say small advisedly; the showroom could hold two cars! I was in the Mk VIII and this elderly stout chap wandered out, fag in the corner of his mouth, to see us and the car. We were invited in and there was a 205 on the ramp being serviced and other cars in various states of repair. I was wondering what this was all about, but then, in the corner, spied a car covered over. Underneath was one of the few Ferrari Daytona Spyders in RHD! I was astounded. But then the door was opened into Aladdin's cave, wherein lay some truly incredible cars. A 20 yr-old Bentley saloon with 4,000 miles, a Prince Henry Vauxhall, but then.......Dick Seaman's type 35 Bugatti, complete I was told with the original brown log book and Dick Seaman's signature, then the Peter Collins DB3S that finished second at Le Mans, then an Aston DB4 Zagato with 5,000 miles on the clock. But one Jaguar, but again an important one, being one of the very few 3.8 XK150S roadsters in RHD. In all, the collection came to 38 cars, but I would doubt that anyone driving past the garage owned by Reg Parker would have given it a second glance. I visited a few times after that, but have no idea if it still exists. Graham, the son, (his was the Bugatti, a 21st birthday present I learned) sold the Zagato and DB3S and perhaps the collection had gone to the four winds. But I shall never forget it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: