classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Engine change & DVLA
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
old iron

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:25 pm    Post subject: Engine change & DVLA Reply with quote

Spotted a Austin 18/6 for sale, looks smart but it has had an engine swop.
It now has a Ford pinto engine installed and matching gearbox, although car comes with the originals. I’m asking vendor if change has been DVLA notified and await reply.If the change, done six years ago, has not been notified how big an issue could this be?
Thanks.
Phil - Nottingham

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may affect your MOT exemption opinion but not affect free road tax. It should be notified to DVLA and your insurance company of course as a non-standard mod
Land Rover S2 & S3
Morris Mini Traveller Mk2
Kenham

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It beggars belief that someone would fit a Pinto engine in an Austin 18, It is usually wedding car hirers that do such things, presumably they don't know how to run the original engine.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try entering its registration into the DVLA search thingy, and see what comes back with regard to engine size.

https://vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/

As Kenham says, it's often the wedding hire businesses that re-engine oldies in this way, and would almost certainly result in losing MOT-exemption, if that's an issue to you or not.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Norseman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kenham wrote:
It beggars belief that someone would fit a Pinto engine in an Austin 18, It is usually wedding car hirers that do such things, presumably they don't know how to run the original engine.

There's a Dodge that's been advertised in CCW for months that falls into that bracket, pinto engine installed, the advert proudly states the car is still on cable brakes & yes it's sporting wedding tapes Laughing

A great many models have served me well since the 'sixties, all of them old & some even older than me.
47Jag

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The guy that I bought my 1938 Buick 90 from also had a couple of 1936 Roesch Talbots (the ones that get chopped into Post Vintage racers) and he had ‘converted’ one using a Transit engine, box and rear axle. The original engine being a beautiful overhead cam 6 cylinder. That was to have been a ‘wedding car’, as was the Buick. He hadn’t a clue how sought after these cars were.

Art
Norseman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm afraid when it comes to the wedding hire business profits take priority over authenticity to the point where safety can be compromised. Way back in the 'seventies I used to drive RR wedding cars as a part time Saturday job, most were from the 'thirties & it was not unknown for me to suffer the indignity of having to hand-crank the bloody things outside the church. On another occasion the rear passenger (suicide) door flew open as I was turning a corner whilst en-route to the church with the bride & her father Embarassed

A great many models have served me well since the 'sixties, all of them old & some even older than me.
Rootes75

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wedding hire companies are often not run by enthusiasts, if its run as a business thwn orginality isnt a priority.
Kenham

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend of mine used to drive for a man who had a couple of elderly Austins, he gave up in the end as the chap would not have the magnetos reconditioned. Very often they would not start after the wedding having stood in the hot sun for an hour or so, as in everything maintenance is the way to go. The bride and groom thought it was great when the car backfired a time or two but of course my friend was thinking " bloody mags going to give up "
Kenham

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend of mine used to drive for a man who had a couple of elderly Austins, he gave up in the end as the chap would not have the magnetos reconditioned. Very often they would not start after the wedding having stood in the hot sun for an hour or so, as in everything maintenance is the way to go. The bride and groom thought it was great when the car backfired a time or two but of course my friend was thinking " bloody mags going to give up "
old iron

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for all replies, looks like it’s going to be a non runner for me by sounds of things. The car is priced fairly high and having to reinstall the proper engine and gearbox will be a pain. On top of that I may find the originals need a rebuild!!
Keep looking I think, thanks again. Smile
alastairq

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re-the engine swap? Much will depend, I think, on whether the engine swap was one that 'could have been carried out in the 1980's'.....[exact year I can't for the moment recall]...Possibly when the Pinto was then-current?

Decades ago, I lived next door to an old motor engineer, who used to work for a local cab, bus and funeral hire company in Bridlington.

He would regale me with tales of how he was 'expected' to keep the aging[back then!] fleet of Rolls-Royce limos and hearses working....the Rolls-Royce engine was seen as a liability...and was often swapped out for easily-available [back then] Ford flathead V8's...a swap that included the gearbox....ending up with the ford gearbox and the RR item as well.

Working vehicles were exactly that!

Even happened in the hallowed world of Morgan ownership....when I had issues[serious issues] with my Standard Special engine, I was seriously advised...if the rest of the car was in reasonable nick...to fit a BMC A-series engine [the clutch was the same]....This from the owner's club tech expert!! Better the car was out on the roads, being used & enjoyed, than sat mouldering whilst original engine issues were dealt with [or not, as the case may be?]

In the end, chugging [or, in my case, roaring?] down the road at 60 mph..one doesn't actually know whether the engine is original or not?

We all realise hindsight is marvellous..and wish we had access to it 'back-in-the-day?'

[Otherwise, as a 20 year old, I would not have been put off buying an AC Greyhound for 600 notes, warned off because of a duff Salisbury back axle! Ended up with a 1275cc Sprite instead....2 years old it was!]
----------------------------------------------
Ford Pop chassis, Ashley 1172 bodyshell, in pieces.
old iron

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick wrote:
Try entering its registration into the DVLA search thingy, and see what comes back with regard to engine size.

https://vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/

As Kenham says, it's often the wedding hire businesses that re-engine oldies in this way, and would almost certainly result in losing MOT-exemption, if that's an issue to you or not.

RJ

Thanks for link, looks like the car is still registered with the austin 18/6 engine
2510cc. Seems this car will not be for me, to many issues on the legal side to deal with.
The other 18/6 austin is for auction this week, I was tempted to drive across for a look and possible bidding but I would rather buy direct from the vendor after. good inspection and test.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: