classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Interesting Story on the BBC website
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Rootes75

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:16 am    Post subject: Interesting Story on the BBC website Reply with quote

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-business-47357827
emmerson

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic! Playing all day and being paid for it! Laughing
peter scott

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is he...

https://www.classicrestorations.co.uk/
Rootes75

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to get paid for restoring my classics, or anyone's for that matter. Getting paid to do a job that is your hobby would be lovely.
badhuis

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rootes75 wrote:
I'd love to get paid for restoring my classics, or anyone's for that matter. Getting paid to do a job that is your hobby would be lovely.

Yes it would but....
When I work on my car I repair / make things the way I am happy with it. A bracket which is a bit rusty may get a clean with a steel brush and some matt black paint, or semi gloss or gloss (depends on what mood I am in, which spray rattle can is available, if the bracket is very visible or not). I do not care much if it is not exactly up to OEM spec.
However if I would have to pay for the same job I might have higher expectations / norms. Or in other words, there will always be discussions about how to tackle jobs and how far you may go for finishes away from standard specifications. And even then, original specification may not be as strong as modern finishes (powder coating for example). Will you always fit new nuts and bolts? I have a habit of re-using old ones as much as possible. Originals may just be a little different which may or may not worth something to car owners. I once bought new tonneau cover lift-a-dots as the originals were a bit worn (not shiny) but then found the new ones are just a little bit more flimsy. I do not like that so refitted the originals. What should I do when building a car for someone else? Will he go for more shiny (visible) but more flimsy (less visible)? Most would go for new I suppose.
I can see endless discussions about these things with car owners which is not something I would look forward to.
Ashley

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The standards are extremely high these days, which means total originality, unless customer wants modifications and total reliability. In fact many modern owners have little understanding of old mechanics as expect to drive their cars as if they’re moderns. But they still demand perfection.

My son has a 1951 Bentley owner who will happily drive 4 or 500 miles in a day at 80mph and not tolerate reliability issues.

There’s also a Paris built with Gestapo Traction 11B in for total restoration. It was done five years ago, but not well enough for the new owner, so the car has been completely disassembled and every part re-restored. The body is being acid dipped and stripped for total restoration again. It looked quite good.

This means costs are astronomic and reputations easily damaged.
Rootes75

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friend ran a business for many years that did not restore cars but simply kept them on the road and kept them legal etc, he offered a very good service and many people who did not have the skills relied on him to keep their classics on the road.

That's the sort of thing I would like to do, not full on restorations.
lowdrag

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have recently been involved with examining a 1961 E-type roadster and advising the owner on restoration. He bought it on a whim and paid far too much for a car that virtually has no cills or floors. I advised that the cost would be around £100,000 for a good car, but if he wants to go concours, he may well double it. Such is the standard required for true concours restorations today there are very few qualified to take it on and do it right, so the price changes accordingly.

I shall be near that restorer in September so will try and pay a visit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: