classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Tr6
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
kevin2306

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:50 pm    Post subject: Tr6 Reply with quote

Evening all

Any of you ever owned and run a uk spec (150bhp) TR6?
Are they a blast to own or an uncomfortable hack?
For ease of comment, let’s assume a rust free, well sorted example.

Kev
alanb

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose it all depends on you're expectations, it's certainly quick, even by today's standards it's performance is probably more than you would use. Comfort wise again it depends on your expectations, in my opinion it's more comfortable than an early Mini, although it's many years since I've been in either. I have a 1937 Morris 8 and a 3 year old Mercedes estate the Merc is much more comfortable and vastly quicker but it's the Morris that puts a smile on my face.

Morris 8 two seater
Rusty

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never "owned" one but drove quite a few when I was working on them back centuries ago ! What I can say is I enjoyed driving them and the other TR derivatives probably more than any other model I had anything to do with. They are an absolute hoot to drive and from my time working on them (admittedly when they were relatively new) they were comfortable (at least on short trips) very reliable in all ways, except for the fuel injection which could be a complete pain in the backside. That's why you see so many now with the original 2.5 engines fitted with the TC's twin CD Stromberg's off the later sedans. I wouldn't be afraid to own one because they were very well made and gave good service right up until today which has to say something about them. I don't know how they have held up rust wise over there but they do have a few rust problems here but nothing terminal, just annoying !
Ashley

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They’re really good and reliable cars supported by the most friendly and active club on the planet. Technical support is excellent too. If you fancy one, go for it because you’ll love it and the friends it makes you.

I’m a TR club member and one time TR3A owner. I also have a friend with two who has an RHD converted US model fitted with SU’s for sale if you’re interested. It should be a very good example.

I believe most of the fuel injection problems are fixed with a Bosch pump, but that you can fit another make of complete system and a better camshaft and get a genuine 150bhp.

The club organises all sorts of trips in the UK and on the continent too, so you’ll have lots of fun.

Last edited by Ashley on Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a huge following for TR4/5/6 around here, based on how many turn out for local meetings, so it's probably the same over your way, if clubs and social bonhomie are your thing. Nearest I got was my 2.5 Spitfire, lots of torque and a great soundtrack.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
30sqm

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not had a TR6 but have lived with a TR3A as my daily driver and restored a TR4 ..each with the four cylinder motor. The TR4A is the same body as the TR4 but has a different chassis and IRS (independent rear suspension). I've not yet driven one, but I did have had a Jag with live axle and then one with IRS - and the latter was astoundingly more compliant and easy to live with.

The TR6 has the same IRS, chassis and inner body pan as the TR4A, TR5, and TR250, but with a 1970's suit of clothes. Even the windscreen was the same - It was a brilliantly clever update. The only downside I've noted with the TR6 is the boot lip is higher, so getting the spare wheel out is a little more awkward. Other than that it comes down to details of trim, switches etc, and specification.

All the TR's are great fun to drive, and all have great pulling power for the weight of car. Mind you by today's standard they a very small / narrow cars. Even sticky kids in their modern super mini glasshouses will look down into your car, as you sit there just a few inches off the floor. There's not a lot of privacy as you mindlessly adjust your tackle. And then it starts to rain and you feel a bit of a twerp ! By the way road-spray is not nice for any low slung sports car.

The TR's handling is predicable and fast ..and especially rewarding when you get it right ..but a little unnerving if you get in a twist. They'll generally look after you, but you might suddenly feel very glad to be alive ! To those who have only ever known modern front wheel drive cars - they are very crude beasts, and usually drafty (ladies who care about their hair and feel the cold generally don't like traditional British sports cars). The hood seals sort-of well enough but a small towel in the car is a useful accessory ..both for him and her. These are also useful for screen demisting and or for keeping draughts off your neck. The windscreen is within easy reach so it's not a problem, and 'central locking' consists of reaching across the narrow interior. Adjustable mirrors by courtesy of cyclists.

As an analogy : if you're the sort who likes a comfortable hotel bed and climate control but hates camping - then you'd best think of any TR as a car only for local jaunts. And if you like camping.. then think backpacking sort of luggage space, even with a rack on the boot lid. If you enjoy such down to earth experience then you'll love a TR !

OK I haven't mentioned the TR6's straight-six motor yet. It's long and it's a heavy iron lump. In UK spec., when not strangulated by US emissions it can kick out 150bhp plus bags of very satisfying torque - with great acoustics. However, US imports need to be carefully considered because with a softer cam and moderated carburation some were as low as 105bhp (..the same as the small capacity 4-cylinder model) but it still had the extra weight to haul. Nowadays, many not-so-hot hatchbacks have a better 0-60 time.

They are well built motors but they are all 40+ years old. And you'll either have twin carburettors to keep in tune or else fuel injection. Not a biggie to an enthusiast but bewildering to most modern car drivers.

That engine sits back as far as the TR4 engine so the two extra cylinders are further forward. That and the extra weight effects the car's balance. The TR6 is great for the straights and fast corners, whereas the gutsy four will be much easier to handle through twist alpine passes.

I mentioned before about sitting on the low-down floor ..it's actually 8" above it, and this does effect getting in and out for the lesser agile. The car interior is some 44" wide across the front doors and then has a big transmission tunnel imposing into the footwells, so big people are ..let's say 'well braced' in their seats. And as the floors on these cars sit aloof 3" of chassis ; what you see as deep sides to the car, are not so very deep inside.

Best bet is to get down to a club meeting place and try one before you buy. Be aware tough : The romance, the fun, and yes even the 'excitement' of a TR is there in great abundance ..but the reality of living with one, maintaining one, restoring/repairing an almost vintage car (that very often had been maintained on less than a student's beer money) - isn't what many modern car drivers might fully have anticipated.

In the 1970's we weren't so wrapped up in cotton wool, and having fun came way before feeling safe and secure, or warm and dry. Of course these aspects of the car also has to suit your other half too, otherwise it'll be one little remark after another. Kids any bigger than a skinny ten year old are too big for getting in the back, but most dog's love it. In short, much like their namesake motorcycles - TR reflects a lifestyle as much as anything.

Hope that helps. Shocked Shocked
kevin2306

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply guys.
I gave up on the TR idea as I decided I couldnt let my Singer go and dont have good enough storage for 2 classics.
As a compromise, we bought a fairly new MB SLK for Sue to use as a daily, I had it remapped last week and its an absolute hoot to drive and you can easily get some top down action when its dry.

Regards

Kevin
Ashley

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevin2306 wrote:
Thanks for the reply guys.
I gave up on the TR idea as I decided I couldnt let my Singer go and dont have good enough storage for 2 classics.
As a compromise, we bought a fairly new MB SLK for Sue to use as a daily, I had it remapped last week and its an absolute hoot to drive and you can easily get some top down action when its dry.

Regards

Kevin

Good choice, they’re a lovely drive and quiet for a sports car. I hope you both get lots of fun and no nasty bills.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: