classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Drive It Day plans 2019?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Geoffp

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aldridge Transport Museum Spring Running Day co-incided with Drive It Day today. For once I was just a passenger as a friend was coming to see us for the day, so I was able to ride on a variety of buses, the highlights being going on one of the three surviving ex-Birmingham Leyland PS1s, all together for the first time in many years and 55mph on a 1976 Ailsa Volvo, the distintive 'whistle' rising to a crescendo Smile

As far as Drive It Day was concerned, it was a bit of anon-event, only a handful of classics, mainly fairly modern, turned upto visit us.
Penguin45

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My car Club's AGM was today, so I drove over from LBA to Preston. On the road, I saw a series 1 Land Rover - in work mode. Nothing else. However, landing in the car park at the venue was a minor pleasure.

WOC AGM - 28.4.19 by Penguin 45, on Flickr

A collection of posh "modern classics" heading out for the Lakeland Motor Museum.

And these lovely Tractions. No idea what they were up to, but nice to see.

Disappointed to note that the only classic present at our own AGM was my car.

P45.
Rootes75

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We didn't see any classics at all whilst out yesterday afternoon, we normally see a few out on a Sunday but thought we would see more with it being drive it day.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We saw quite a few old vehicles out and about yesterday, outside of the Cheshire Run entrants (photos of which to follow shortly), although it did feel less publicised than in recent years.

Added: photos from Sunday: http://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/forum/phpbb/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=20965.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop

Last edited by Rick on Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:02 am; edited 1 time in total
consul 57

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rootes75 wrote:
We didn't see any classics at all whilst out yesterday afternoon, we normally see a few out on a Sunday but thought we would see more with it being drive it day.

quite a few in north somerset and not on our run either!
Clactonguy

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 7:24 pm    Post subject: drive it day. Reply with quote

reading. comments made I tend to agree majority public happy to see old cars on show but not keen having to follow at speeds up to 50mph ( some do not do that) and. pollution /emmision views are casting a bad light on those driving historic/classic cars. with articles about. possible banning all diesel /petrol cars by as early as 2035 ( Germany has announced massive investment in battery manufacturing to create 1500 jobs) we may well find our beloved vehicles are seen like poison and instead of interest and admiring. glances we risk things being hooted and booed! the writing is on the wall. not for nothing are there small movements towards electric /battery conversion kits for. Classic cars. sadly. probably all going to be beyond my reach and the old girl may have to go to great car park in the sky. rust in peace. not heard anything. worthwhile yet on alternative fuels . eg hydrogen/alcohol.
alastairq

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
but not keen having to follow at speeds up to 50mph

That is the national speed limit for single carriageway roads, for a huge percentage of all vehicles on the roads.....

I find the fact I endure the inability to make better progress due largely to modern vehicles.....

I'm afraid the view that we present a hindrance to traffic is largely a perception not backed by reality.

Anyway, it's about time traffic speeds were slowed..especially since modern vehicles, whilst being able to 'cope' better, are not matched by the abilities of their drivers.
Every single day, my local news feeds are littered with reports of delays caused by someone not coping, and ending up in a mess.....
Many times a week, the local Police are asking for witnesses to this or that incident....
None involving old vehicles!

In my area, the Police state that of all vehicles stopped and checked during regular campaigns, 85% are unroadworthy to one extent or another....

As long as we make the effort to ensure our old vehicles comply with the Law, then we have lttle to fear....
----------------------------------------------
Ford Pop chassis, Ashley 1172 bodyshell, in pieces.
Ashley

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have various routes that I can do on country lanes, some are single track and speed is limited, but not as much as in queues on main roads, nor are people as aggressive. You have to stop or back up from time to time and it’s almost always a waves and smiles event rather than a scowl. Unless of course it’s school run time, then speeding SUVs can be terrifying.
peter scott

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alastairq wrote:
Quote:

That is the national speed limit for single carriageway roads, for a huge percentage of all vehicles on the roads.....

Although some roads do have 50 mph limits I think, in general single carriageway roads, that have no specific limit signs, have the default limit of 60 mph.

Peter
Ray White

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peter scott wrote:
alastairq wrote:
Quote:

Although some roads do have 50 mph limits I think, in general single carriageway roads, that have no specific limit signs, have the default limit of 60 mph.

Peter

You are right, Peter. Where I would very much like to see a general speed limit reduction, however, is on single track roads.

For example, my house is situated on a typical single track country lane with no path or pavement. There is a fairly poor road surface and no street lighting but despite this, a 60 mph speed limit is deemed acceptable. Rolling Eyes
Penman

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Peter
The 60 limit only applies to M/cycles, cars and car derived vans upto 2 tonnes Max Laden, cars which are towing trailers including those car derived vans, all minibuses and upwards, and all Goods vehicles over 2 tonnes are supposed to stick at or below 50mph.
EXCEPT in Scotland where it is still 40 for the over 7.5 tonnes vehicles.

Having said that I bet the ones with governors/limiters try to run at their governor limit.

Ref HC section between rule 123 and rule 124

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
alastairq

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
but despite this, a 60 mph speed limit is deemed acceptable.

A speed limit is just that....a limit...not a target. Nor is it meant to be. Neither is it deemed the 'safest' speed to be driving at.
Even if a driver deems it 'safe' to drive at a faster speed, the limit comes into play..it's a limit.
I have yet to meet the driver who has a crystal ball. Inevitably, safety is found after the fact. Before the fact, then risk assessment & risk reduction is the only way of attempting to acquire 'safety.'

Hence, by applying appropriate risk reduction,one ought to arrive at the 'safest' speed to be travelling at, at that point in time, at that location, in those circumstances.

Those who drive any faster, are increasing risk levels, for themselves, and others....but hey, they want to take a chance, so why not?
What's a few drivers who struggle to cope with the faster driver going to matter?

The safest speed [ultimately decided by a Court, no doubt]...will vary according to road & traffic conditions, weather, and the limitations of a particular vehicle [types of tyre, gearing, suspension, fuel consumption, etc]...

This is where the careless, or dangerous, driving Laws come into play.

It's not so long back in my previous driving career, when I regularly drove vehicles incapable of achieving a speed greater than 45 mph! [Except when going downhill, out of cog?]

Back then, that was normal....what really has changed? It's only 30-odd years ago..ffs?
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray White wrote:
peter scott wrote:
alastairq wrote:
Quote:

Peter

You are right, Peter. Where I would very much like to see a general speed limit reduction, however, is on single track roads.

For example, my house is situated on a typical single track country lane with no path or pavement. There is a fairly poor road surface and no street lighting but despite this, a 60 mph speed limit is deemed acceptable. Rolling Eyes

I don't think a blanket speed limit based on the width of the road is a good idea at all. IMO some idiots would see 40 mph as a target who currently have enough sense to see that 60mph isn't safe.

Single track roads are such a mixed bag, quality wise. Many have such tight bends and poor visibility that 20mph isn't safe, yet I've found some that are dead straight and perfectly safe to do 80mph on with good surfaces, wide verges and perfect visibility. The only purpose a 40mph limit would serve in those cases is to give Plod somewhere to park the Talivan and have a productive day issuing fines, I hardly think that's something we want to be encouraging. What really makes the roads unsafe these days is traffic policing by speed camera enforcement which does nothing to catch or deter drunks, idiots, road rage, insecure loads, faulty lights...
Ray White

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which ever way one looks at it, travelling along Moor Lane; a single track, poorly maintained country lane at the speed limit - or indeed any more than half that speed, is asking for trouble.

Experienced people will adjust their speed to match the conditions but unfortunately the secluded nature of where we are attracts drug taking youth who are a menace under the influence and that is something which no speed limit can cater for.
alastairq

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What really makes the roads unsafe these days is traffic policing by speed camera enforcement which does nothing to catch or deter drunks, idiots, road rage, insecure loads, faulty lights...

But, cameras do free up traffic officers to pursue those other offences.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: