classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Midsomer Murders
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
MVPeters

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:36 pm    Post subject: Midsomer Murders Reply with quote

Midsomer Murders - "Death in the Slow Lane"

An episode of my favourite TV show just arrived here in the US.

There were a number of classic cars featured. Somebody on OCC must have been involved!
Any comments on the experience?

(For those who follow Hemmings Daily, it was rather like the "What do you see here?" series).
Norseman

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just picked up your post. Didn't see the episode Mike but lots of classics appear on UK tv, sometimes the programme producers don't get the period right leading me to bore my partner to death with the facts, but I guess it's a question of hiring what vehicles are available Sad

A great many models have served me well since the 'sixties, all of them old & some even older than me.
Ray White

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some owners have reported having an unfortunate experience with insufficient care being taken of their cars. At least these days there are fewer classics being smashed up for dramatic effect. The 'Heartbeat' and 'The Royal' series were sadly the end of the road for many fine old cars.
Rich5ltr

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least the Alfa Romeo 8C crashed in the Poirot episode The Italian Nobleman was a mock up. It's one of my favourite episodes as Capt. Hastings decides to buy an Eliso Freccia to enter at Le Mans. Of course there's intrigue and murder woven into the story as well as a great car chase ending badly for the Eliso Freccia (read Alfa Romeo 8C). If you've not seen it try to get it on catch up or whatever. Here's the story of the mocked up car crash. https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/archive/article/january-2014/145/poirots-last-chase
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich5ltr wrote:
At least the Alfa Romeo 8C crashed in the Poirot episode The Italian Nobleman was a mock up. It's one of my favourite episodes as Capt. Hastings decides to buy an Eliso Freccia to enter at Le Mans. Of course there's intrigue and murder woven into the story as well as a great car chase ending badly for the Eliso Freccia (read Alfa Romeo 8C). If you've not seen it try to get it on catch up or whatever. Here's the story of the mocked up car crash. https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/archive/article/january-2014/145/poirots-last-chase

An interesting behind-the-scenes story!

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Ray White

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...but no mention of the Vauxhall. What became of it I wonder?
peter scott

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Approximately 40:21

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_67ak8GCyG0

Peter
lowdrag

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My E-type was featured on "The Car's the Star" for the Beeb back in 1995 I think. Arrive 1330, leave 0530, all for two mins or so on the box! Mine's the first one shown - Madame CYN as she has always known as.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfcsEbMqRMY

But the drive home at dawn, top down on a summer's morn, jousting with the milk floats on country lanes, is what always comes to mind. Pure bliss.
badhuis

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What surprises me is that the producers of newly made shows take so little attention to detail in the case of cars.
For example, an episode of "Prime Suspect 1971" which was made in 2017 had some detail errors. Building interior shots, clothes, all seem very 1971 except for cars. It was shown on ITV3 this week and is about a police story in 1971.
In a funeral shot, we see a big Daimler DS420 hearse with big black plastic bumpers and smaller grille which were used for the last years only (1987-92). Why o why - could they not find an earlier hearse???
In another shot in a Hillman Minx/Hunter you clearly see the seat belts hanging from the B post. I remember the introduction of seats belts in ordinary cars well in the mid seventies - I do not think three point belts were standard fitment in a cheap car like the Minx/Hunter in 1971. At least, they were not in the Netherlands.
In contemporary pictures and films you seldom see door mirrors. Wings mirrors were used back then but not in these modern productions.
This all is not very important and will go unnoticed by the greater public but it annoys me to see it.
47Jag

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Badhuis,

I worked at a Ford garage in the early 60s and they offered a front seat belt option. I actually ‘acquired’ a set from a ‘bent’ parts-man and fitted them to my Austin A70. They were made by a company called Irvine Airchute and the anchorages were eyebolts through the floor with small shackles and clevis pins. I took them to Canada when I emigrated and fitted them to my brand new Austin 1800. The design came in handy 3 years later when I blew the engine 100 miles from home. Luckily my cousin was at hand to tow me home using the seal belt as a tow rope. Simple unscrew the shackles and connect to the cars.

As far as I know front seat belts only became either standard or optional fitting later on. I know my ‘77 Princess only had them in the front and I bought a pair of aftermarket belts for the rear. I still have them. The were great for children as the diagonal strap was adjustable vertically to suit small chests. I don’t recall who made them but the company is still ‘on the go’.

Art
Penman

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
The UK legislation was
Quote:
from Wiki:
In the UK, a requirement for anchorage points was introduced in 1965, followed by the requirement in 1968 to fit three-point belts in the front outboard positions on all new cars and all existing cars back to 1965.[ Successive UK Governments proposed, but failed to deliver, seat belt legislation throughout the 1970s. Front seat belts were compulsory equipment on all new cars registered in the UK from 1972

Quote:
From .GOV Car manufacturers have had to install seatbelts since 1965 but the law requiring drivers to wear them did not come in to force for another 18 years. In 1991 the law changed again making it a legal requirement for adults to wear seatbelts in the back of cars.

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
badhuis

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Front seat belts were compulsory equipment on all new cars registered in the UK from 1972

That was the case here in the Netherlands as well, give or take a few years. But this also meant most new cars before 1972 did not actually have seat belts (they did have the anchorage points).
I remember clearly that our family 1971 Peugeot 404 Familiale did not have seat belts. It replacement, a 1977 Triumph 2500TC had automatic belts, wow! No belts in the back of course.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: