classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Regrets?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 12:24 pm    Post subject: Regrets? Reply with quote

Morning all,

Do you have any regrets, when it comes to your history with old vehicles?

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Ray White

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I regret not having taken any photos of the BSA Bantam that I restored as a 12 year old boy. I also wish I had kept some sort of record of my BMW Isetta 300. It just didn't occur to me to photograph my cars. It is not something the people around me did.
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, lack of photos is a regret of mine too. I have no pictures at all of the first 4 cars I owned or of a scooter that I have fond memories of and regret selling.

I also regret scrapping my first Mini, although it had a lot of problems the bodyshell was basically sound. One new wing and A panel etc to replace the damaged originals, some new brakes and a decent s/h engine and gearbox and it would have been a good car, for less than I subsequently spent on others with much worse bodywork...
Rootes75

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I regret a couple things car related, the first would be selling on a 1937 Hillman Minx that I bought locally. It was Black with cherry red leather and was very original and restorable. I sold it due to a lack of space, it has never been seen since and I was led to believe after the fact that the chaps who bought it were rodders.
The second would be a 1963 Singer Gazelle I bought for £120 on ebay (back in the days when bargains could be found!) Bodywork looked great after a polish, it needed a cill welding and we got the engine running sweatly. She was light blue with matching very good interior, again she was sold on due to lack of space. I regret not keeping her as now we have kids she would have been such a sensible drive for all of us, I also think the Gazelle is the best looker of the Rootes range at the time.
norustplease

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A nice Mk 3 Zephyr that I had. It was ex MOD and only low mileage. It needed some welding to a cill and recommissioning, but lack of space dictated a sale.
Boring Tucson SUV
badhuis

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 1967 MGBGT I owned for 2 years. The best example: steel dash, overdrive, dark green, black leather, painted wire wheels. It was in good condition when something in the shifting mechanism in the gearbox broke - I could not select 2nd gear. At the time I was very busy in rebuilding my home and garage and just did not have the time to repair it myself, and sold the car much too cheap.
Later I have searched for but have never found it again.
Would not mind having it back again, or a similar example.
Phil - Nottingham

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I regret getting rid of my 1950s Auto Union/DKWs which I restored once or twice but then needed more extensive welding which was nothing to what I did in the late 80s onwards but I did not have the time or space.

I also have so few photos of the cars of mine and my dad which I looked after and fixed in the late 60s and70s.

I wish I had not sold my 1957 James Cadet 150 in 1975 for £35 which I restored and travelled many miles on despite its low speed and terrible headlight
Land Rover S2 & S3
Morris Mini Traveller Mk2
peter scott

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In 1964 as a teenager interested in radio and TV I repaired a large 1930s console set for a rich business friend of my father.

Beside his Scottish baronial castle was a sad looking Jensen 541 that was complete apart from its carburettors. I could have had it for virtually nothing but declined thinking it would be many years before I could afford to insure it. (Probably true, and I was 15 at the time.) I also had nowhere to store it so it was an opportunity missed.

Peter Sad
mikeC

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure regret is quite the right word - there are several cars I would be very happy to buy back, but there was always a good reason for selling them at the time.
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikeC wrote:
I am not sure regret is quite the right word - there are several cars I would be very happy to buy back, but there was always a good reason for selling them at the time.

I know what you mean. I sold a very solid Triumph Acclaim a few years ago now because A) I was skint and B) it was getting harder to track down spares. I haven't seen it since - I think the buyer came from somewhere around Stoke on Trent, but sometimes I think "what if..?"

At the time it was a choice of selling that or the Herald, the Herald won due to having no road tax to pay and no seatbelts or emissions test to cause problems at MOT time Laughing Laughing Laughing
kenpix

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 3:27 pm    Post subject: Regrets Reply with quote

Put a deposit down on a 1955 Healey 100M in 1968, only for someone who previously had first refusal but failed to show, to re-appear and clinch the sale. I felt a bit cheated - it was only £150! Had to make do with a TR2 but got to like it over time.
47Jag

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Years ago I went to see a Lotus Elan2 (Ex Sandy Shaw the singer) What I saw was the whole car spread neatly on the workshop floor in refurbished pieces. Priced at £800 I said right away I would take it. Ah! There’s a guy who phoned about it before you coming later and it’s only fair....... “I’ll phone you later” he said. He calls and explains that the other guy wants it too, but he couldn't decide who to let it go to. I said toss a coin now and I’ll take heads, it came down tails Crying or Very sad

Art
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to buy a pre-war Rover, went to see it (its first viewing), and made an offer within sight of the asking price. The guy was wavering about accepting, and said he'd sleep on it and let me know the next day, either way. Next day, heard nothing, I didn't want to pressure him so left it 'til the following day before phoning. Someone else had been to see it in the meantime, had offered a bit more, and had their offer accepted there and then. That was a little annoying as if he'd called me, I'd have been happy to negotiate further.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: