classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Old Radios.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans)
Rootes75

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 12:32 pm    Post subject: Old Radios. Reply with quote

Whilst at Beaulieu at the weekend I spotted something very unusual. Being a Hillman buff I recall the Hillman Melody Minx of the early 1930's, called such as it was (I think) the first production car to be factory fitted with a radio.

Whilst rummaging through the 'trunk traders', supposedly pitches set aside for people clearing there garages but now more traders simply getting a cheaper pitch but that's another story, I found what I believed to be a Philco Radio set as fitted to the Melody Minx. Rare and very collectable but in this case needed total restoration.

I asked the price...the chap said he has a friend who restores radios and had told him it was rare...£100 no offers even with it being late on the Sunday. I asked why his collector friend didn't buy it and he said cause of the work required!!
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Old Radios. Reply with quote

Rootes75 wrote:
I asked why his collector friend didn't buy it and he said cause of the work required!!

Reminds me of a test drive in an Audi quattro some years ago. The car had trouble going into first gear, often requiring the engine to be off, into gear, then start up again. Chap said it just needed a new clutch, and he'd drop the price a bit to allow for it. He didn't fancy doing the job himself, even though his business was running a clutch centre. Hmm, give that one a miss then.

Still, I wish I'd bought almost any of them.
V8 Nutter

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By 1929 several American makes offered fitted radios as optional extras
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The electronics won't be complicated at all and the bits readily available....however there are fewer folk who can work with valve stuff these days, and there will be a "buzz unit" to generate higher voltages again not many folk will be familiar with them.

A solution is to fit modern components, for me that's akin to fitting an electric motor in place of the petrol unit Sad

Dave
Rootes75

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it was I would like to have had a go restoring it, but at that price unless you are in desperate need for it its simply too much.

I imagine I will see it on his stall again in September!
peter scott

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rootes,

If it's this type and complete..

..then £100 is a fair price for it. Electrically they aren't too difficult to get working on Long and Medium waves. I have some experience of vibrator car radios and may be able to help you get it going. If it's a K627-T then I have the service info. for it.

Peter
Rootes75

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was similar in design, but very rough and with no or very little wiring with it.
peter scott

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The key thing is that it needs to have the control panel with its Bowden cables connecting to the main unit. Electrical cables are not important. It's the mechanical ones that are difficult to replace.

Peter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: