classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Ford Popular 103e new to me
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
Paul fairall

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

47Jag wrote:
Paul,

Wouldn’t brazing be strong enough? I always feel welding puts too much heat into the work.

Art
i did say silver soldered.
Paul fairall

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought a stick of silver solder today, then found a piece long enough to finish the job, bloody typical. Anyway, brazed the flange for the carb to the tee and then bolted the exhaust and inlet manifolds onto the car. Fitted the carb and connected the fuel pipe. Fitted the exhaust pipe on to the manifold and tightened the clamp, seems to have gone together well. I need to heat the throttle linkage across the bulkhead and bend to the carbs new position. I will also need to extend the piece with ball ends and move the choke cable. Before that I will try starting it up with a clamp on the choke cable. It's handy being able to operate the starter from under the bonnet.
Paul fairall

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had the car running albeit a bit rough. Today I extended the ball ended throttle linkage and ran the engine from the comfort of the drivers seat. I need to move the choke cable to line up with the carb in its new position, for now I held out the choke cable that comes out of the carb with the connector. Engine runs rough and no longer makes that sucking sound with the choke on. Is that due to the aquaplane manifolds allowing better breathing and possibly making it run lean. Could do with some advice.
alastairq

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do the plugs look like?
----------------------------------------------
Ford Pop chassis, Ashley 1172 bodyshell, in pieces.
Paul fairall

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't looked yet, car was only running for a few minutes.
Paul fairall

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alastairq wrote:
What do the plugs look like?
Three were black the other grey. After chatting with someone he suggested I remove the aquaplane inlet manifold and make two inlet stubs to bolt direct to the inlets. I decided I may as well get on with fitting the supercharger and inlet duct. The aquaplane manifold with its balance pipe and the copper manifold isn't going to work.
Paul fairall

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have now bought a 100e inlet manifold, took a grinder to the hotspot flange so it clears the aquaplane exhaust manifold. I noticed it sat cock eyed and leaning towards the distributor. I couldn't feel a gap under the inlet ports where the manifold meets the block but a torch and mirror revealed a gap. The inlet manifold was touching the step of the valve cover. I ground a flat on the bottom of each inlet port of the manifold and all now fitting well. Next I found the carburettor is bigger on a 100e so my existing carb won't fit. So I'm going to complete fitting the supercharger and have done with it.
Paul fairall

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that there is any interest here and nobody has posted for months, I haven't helped by not posting either. I spent some time and money fitting a supercharger but it's not worked as I anticipated so to get the car running for the summer I sidelined the supercharger and have fitted a Weber 26 IMB 10, these are standard fitment on classic fiat 500. I had to make a manifold adaptor to suit the stud spacing of the Weber. I also changed the main jet as the fiat cylinder capacity is 249cc and the ford is 293cc. Has been running well and pulls up hills at 40mph instead of previously 20mph. Today I ultrasonically cleaned the carb and jets and it's starting instantly instead of firing and stopping several times before keeping running. Still no change in engine speed when screwing idle mixture screw in or out. I have changed the idle mixture jet from 45 to 55 and still have a 50 to try. I would be interested in anyone's view on this slight issue. Have to say it idles nicely anyway
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't help sorry but was wondering how you were getting on. Just because there've been no recent replies doesnt mean no-one's interested.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick wrote:
Can't help sorry but was wondering how you were getting on. Just because there've been no recent replies doesnt mean no-one's interested.

RJ

I'll second that, Rick. Updates are always good and I think most of us forum regulars will be interested, even if we have 0 knowledge... Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8

Jump to: