classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Any love for two-strokes?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 1:12 pm    Post subject: Any love for two-strokes? Reply with quote

Hi all,

In principle I'd quite like the idea of pottering around in a Trabant or an early Saab, but I think it'd get tedious a) explaining the smoke and b) feeling guilty for putting out an obvious trail of smoke while driving along. I think it'd attract many dim views and "tut tuts" from passers-by. I assume the petrol/oil mix has a great bearing on the amount of smoke put out, but again would I want to be constantly explaining/apologising for my choice of car? Hmmm.

Are there any two-stroke fans here?

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Keith D

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not a fan of two strokes. The usual smoke would not be of particular concern to me, but the four stroking and eight stroking with the resultant popping, when coasting in gear, certainly would.

I drove a Bond Minicar from John O'Groats to Essex, back in 1960 and owned one for a few months shortly afterwards. No thanks!

Keith
1999 BMW Z3
Its weird being the same age as old people.
You are either part of the problem or part of the solution
alastairq

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the other end of our stick, I'd love a SAAB 2 stroke....the 'smoke' cannot be any worse in terms of having to explain [simply don't.... or say 'life was like that once?']...why an old school diesel engine smokes on start-up.
No worse than Vaping, really...in terms of the perception of others?

I'm not so sure about a Trabant? [But only from it's bodywork construction viewpoint]

However, another 2 stroke I'd dearly love to have is one of the Wartburgs...or a DKW?
[A Sonderklasse would be ideal]

edit..forgot to add...Ford were busy developing a 2 stroke to fit in the original Ka.....

For rufty tufty work [pensioner's shopping trolley?] couldn't be better than a DKW Munga?
----------------------------------------------
Ford Pop chassis, Ashley 1172 bodyshell, in pieces.
Rootes75

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd go for a two-stroke Commer!
badhuis

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rootes75 wrote:
I'd go for a two-stroke Commer!

Oh yes, what a wonderful engine that was. I remember the specific noise a lorry had in our neighborhood with that engine, fantastic.
Phil - Nottingham

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had 2 Auto Union DKW 1000s in the 70s from 1960. 3 cylinder water cooled 2 strokes with the freewheel to reduce 4 stroking/snatching on the overrun and also allow clutchless gear changes,

Fast nippy roomy cars with front-wheel drive too - many 1000s of miles in them
Land Rover S2 & S3
Morris Mini Traveller Mk2
lowdrag

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know how anyone can dislike the smell of Castrol R. I added go-faster stripes to the garden tractor and a teaspoonful to the fuel tank. Sheer heaven!
roverdriver

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always thought that a Valveless would be an interesting car to own.
peter scott

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was impressed by the acceleration of 200cc two stroke Durkopp Diana that I had for a short time until an old guy, not seeing me, did a U turn in my path. I wrote his car off with the Durkopp and went flying over his bonnet, but his insurance paid for my next vehicle, A four stroke Heinkel 175 cc scooter.

Peter
Ray White

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many here remember Jaguar's foray into the potential of two stroke engines? I remember seeing an 'exploded' concept engine on display at an Earls Court Motor show. I remember this because my Dad stopped to inspect it. There were no signs anywhere to say what it was and the stall holder - a jaguar employee - was most impressed that Dad had recognised it for what it was as no one else had twigged. Apparently it was considered for racing but like many concepts was still born.

One motor bike which I though was a bit tasty when it came out in the 1970s was the Suzuki 250 two stroke (racing spec). From what I can remember it was pretty quick in the day.

Just a few 2 stroke reminiscences.
exbmc

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:25 pm    Post subject: Two stroke memories Reply with quote

The 2 stroke Ford, mentioned by Alastairq was called the “Orbital “, we did some test bed running on one where I used to work.
I think it was a Ford Australia project. It mixed its own oil / fuel from a tank, rather like a modern scooter. It actually used little oil, it must have been 100 to 1 ratio at minimum. Oil input varied with power. I think it was a three cylinder. There was talk of fitting a police panda with one as a mule.
Don’t know if that ever happened, it all went quiet and disappeared.

When I lived in north wales in the 70’s, there were quite a few Wartbergs about. A local dealer still sold a few. As I recall, they had a rack in the boot, and four wide neck glass bottles in it. They must have held about a pint?
Anyway, the owners tipped a bottle into the tank, then four gallons of 2 star, so about 32:1. I think it may have been straight 30 rather than proper two stroke lube.
Rusty

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:57 am    Post subject: Re: Two stroke memories Reply with quote

exbmc wrote:
The 2 stroke Ford, mentioned by Alastairq was called the “Orbital “,

The "orbital" engine itself was a "sort of" 2 stroke, developed out here in Western Australia by a chap named Ralph Sarrich, but it ran more like a "" rotary and he never did succeed in sealing the combustion chambers and so moved onto more conventional 2 strokes with some sort of revolutionary at the time injection system on them and made a fortune out of selling manufacturing rites to American outboard motor and other recreational 2 stroke manufacturers. I think it would be one of these engines built by the "orbital engine company" that exbmc would have been involved in testing.

As for 2 strokes I love, I have driven a lot of very exciting miles over all sorts of terrain in several 2 and 3 cylinder Suzuki jeeps ! They would go anywhere at their modest speed and revved like 50 bees in a beer bottle, and you would go a long way to find something that was more FUN to drive !!!
47Jag

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have thought it was the ever tightening emission laws that was the kiss of death for two stroke engine research or further development. Is the considered to be a two stroke or is it a three ‘stroke’ since it completes its cycle using three chambers?

Art
V8 Nutter

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuel consumption didn't help. I knew someone who rode a 750 Suzuki, he claimed at speed it was down to 12m.p.g.
alastairq

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasn't the famous 'Detroit Diesel' a 2 stroke?
----------------------------------------------
Ford Pop chassis, Ashley 1172 bodyshell, in pieces.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: