classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Any love for two-strokes?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
lowdrag

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Penman wrote:
By the way, it is ISN'T not WASN'T, unless it has been lost in the meantime, it fetched £1.8 million in 2013

It has been sold on since and I'm not sure who owns it is now but I know where it is stored and see it every time I am in the UK. I have so many photos of it which I can no longer put up because the sites where I stored my photos have all gone money mad, but the interior of the transporter is the most interesting part, including the brass plaque dedicated to the man who restored it.
peter scott

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lowdrag wrote:
I remember being shown a Trojan bubble car in which you turned the key one way to start it for go and the other way for reverse, I was quite impressed I seem to remember.

I thought the Trojan was basically a rebadged Heinkel which was a 200cc four stroke. I suspect you are referring to the Messerschmitt which was two stroke and as you suggest was given reverse by starting the engine in reverse. This of course allowed you the full forward gear set so you could drive as fast in reverse as you could forward which in the bigger engined Messerschmitt Tiger was terrifyingly fast!

Peter
lowdrag

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems you're right Peter. All I remember was the chap staying at our hotel and showing me the car. From a (faulty) memory all I remember is that it looked like an Isetta with a front-opening door and was pale blue.
Cargy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:44 pm    Post subject: Any love for two-strokes? Reply with quote

Don’t forget the 300 or so Grimsby-made Lloyd 650 Roadsters, 1946-50, with their two-stroke, charge-injected two-cylinder engines based on Harry Ricardo’s 1905-7 Dolphin engine designs – pure fuel, so no petroil smoke from them and not a lot of BHP either! Not long after Lord Nuffield turned down buying Lloyd, Austin-Morris tested a 750 two-stroke test engine.

Or Ricardo’s ultimate V-12 two-stroke, sleeve-valve, aero-engine design for the Rolls-Royce Crecy, which before its cancellation in 1944 was shown to be capable of development from its then 1425HP to 5000HP, with a 40% power and a 10% fuel advantage over equivalent four-strokes. Then along came the gas-turbine...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: