classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

The biggest bodge.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Rusty

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of fuel pumps packing it in, on a fishing trip some mates and I did a fuel pump packed in on an old dodge light truck some of the other blokes were driving, so they got the boats outboard motor tank and hooked it up to the trucks carby and kept going that way, taking turns at pumping the priming bulb in the boat tanks fuel line to get fuel to the carby. Worked for about 50 miles !
Peter_L

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This story was on several Canadian media sites today

http://www.thedrive.com/news/9211/canadian-man-fined-for-driving-toyota-tercel-with-wooden-suspension

Question: What do OCC members think is the best wood to use for suspension. Does a softwood create a "softer ride" would something like Oak or some South American hardwood be better for competition use ?
and what purpose does the chicken wire serve. ?
BigJohn

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About 25yrs ago I was following an MG Midget on a country road which seemed solid on right hand bends, but had some suspension travel on left hand ones.
After about a mile to make sure I wasn't mistaken, on came the blues n twos and I gave the said MG a free MOT. The spring hanger had punched through the rotten floor, so a piece of oak stump had been used as replacement bump stop and wired to the axle with fencing wire. It had been cut to give a level ride height across the axle when stationary. The car got scrapped after it's owner incurred many points for many offences.
emmerson

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rusty wrote:
Speaking of fuel pumps packing it in, on a fishing trip some mates and I did a fuel pump packed in on an old dodge light truck some of the other blokes were driving, so they got the boats outboard motor tank and hooked it up to the trucks carby and kept going that way, taking turns at pumping the priming bulb in the boat tanks fuel line to get fuel to the carby. Worked for about 50 miles !

My boss got home one night by connecting the petrol pipe to the screen washer hand pump when the electric pump packed up on his Morris 1100.
Ray White

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know how it is with some people; they will not be told. While I was getting the Austin Swallow M.O.T.'d one year, a young lad came up to me.

"These cars have a wooden chassis, you know" he said in all sincerity.

I explained that they had a wooden body frame mounted on a steel chassis - but the lad was having none of it. He pointed to the wooden fillet to which the bottom of front wings are screwed. "What's that then?"

At this point, I decided to go along with it. "oh yes" I replied 'i hadn't noticed that!"

The young chap seemed satisfied that he had put me right and fortunately went away.

When it comes to bodges I remember something that happened with the Isetta 300 Bubble car that I had years ago. I was motoring along quite happily one day when the cabin filled with petrol fumes. Shortly followed by engine failure. I was alarmed to find petrol pouring out of a the glass sediment bowl; it had come loose and smashed itself to pieces against the inside of the engine inspection cover.

My Dad resolved the problem by turning one up in brass. "Now try not to break it!" he said.

As a bodge, it worked well and was still on the car when I sold it. It may well still have it for all I know.
peter scott

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray White wrote:

When it comes to bodges I remember something that happened with the Isetta 300 Bubble car that I had years ago. I was motoring along quite happily one day when the cabin filled with petrol fumes. Shortly followed by engine failure. I was alarmed to find petrol pouring out of a the glass sediment bowl; it had come loose and smashed itself to pieces against the inside of the engine inspection cover.

Nothing to do with bodges but I still have a strong memory of investigating a slight dampness on the fuel tank of my Isetta 300. I decided to take the tank out to get a better look but on releasing the first metal holding strap the whole contents of the tank fell squarely into my face eyes, nose and mouth. Despite being more than 50 years ago I remember it as if it was yesterday!

I do have a photo of another bodge just to keep the thread on track. Sorry, I have shown it before on this forum. It's the carpenter's core plug.

Peter

Ray White

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I inherited a Vauxhall Astra from my Father in Law. He was impecunious to a fault. I noticed that the fan was not working...that was until I switched on the sidelights and miraculously it began to whirr??

What had happened was the thermostat switch had failed and instead of replacing it he had taken a feed from the front side light. Of course that was why he had always had the sidelights switched on every time I had seen the car over the previous few years. Laughing

Tight fisted old beggar. Rolling Eyes Laughing
Ray White

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never before seen both tail lamps made up from old plastic food containers and painted red!

Maybe the best thing would be to start over again with some new lights?
mikeC

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not a bodge, that's MGnuity!
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Genius, as I've probably mentioned before, our old neighbour had a Mk1 Consul and he strategically placed old red sweet wrappers within the lamp housings, to "fix" the brake/tail light lenses that had faded badly.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Admission of a bodge!

Way back in the early 80's I bought an 8 year old Simca 1301 for £60 from a teacher at school... it would not start...I turned up with some new spark plugs, it started straight away and my older mate drove it to my parents house.

Anyway to the bodge...Simca 1301's suffered from top end oil starvation, so this 56k mile car had a rattling top end, both the rockers and rocker shaft were worn, cost of new shaft and rockers about 3x what I paid for the car!

So I took the rocker shaft in to school and ground it down to the smallest wear diameter, increased the size of the oil bores, to sort the the rockers out I lined them with electrical solder, and then reamed them to the correct size to suit the ground down rocker shaft. (All one of the benefits of being in a comprehensive school in the 80's that had previously been a secondary modern; lots of idle metal working machines and teachers who were only too willing to help!)

I sold the Simca to someone local, who sung its praises for a good few years, so maybe the bodge wasn't so bad!

Dave
peter scott

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit like Ray's filter, when converting my front side lights to LEDs I thought they looked a bit cold (blue) so I placed a part of a Sainsbury's plastic bag between the LED and the lens. The bag is orange.

http://www.nostalgiatech.co.uk/LED%20Lighting.htm

Peter
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peter scott wrote:
A bit like Ray's filter, when converting my front side lights to LEDs I thought they looked a bit cold (blue) so I placed a part of a Sainsbury's plastic bag between the LED and the lens. The bag is orange.

http://www.nostalgiatech.co.uk/LED%20Lighting.htm

Peter

I like that, sounds similar to the brake light on little Dodge - it wasn't particular red when I got it working again, but I found that a circular plastic lid from a gravy granules container slotted in behind the lens perfectly, restoring the "red-ness".

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
alastairq

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old glass screenwash jars [Jag?] look remarkably like Bisto gravy jars.....
----------------------------------------------
Ford Pop chassis, Ashley 1172 bodyshell, in pieces.
Ray White

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not so much a bodge...more abuse from a bodger.

I suppose hammering on the battery terminals will save the trouble of screwing them down.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: