classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

rear lights
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
alastairq

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is no doubt based on the standard US lighting system[as-was?]...

When indicating, the brake light circuit on that side is disabled, and the red bulb flashes.

[This proves a problem that requires sorting when importing a US vehicle into the UK......for more recent vehicles a red indicator is not permitted...so the circuit requires disabling, to sort out a separate indicator circuit....given the standard wiring usually found, it is quite a problem! I have a Mustang, to which had been fitted a [UK-made] LED array in the rear lights....which gave a separate indicator in amber..[which flashes across the centre of the triple lens system Ford used...]
The original brake light circuit was entirely disabled [removed, I think?]....and the brake light switch wired directly from a supply, and onto the brake lights...]
There's nearly 140 individual LEDs in each array....ever so many for sidelights, so many more for brake, and some for indicator, in a different colour....which show amber through the original Ford red lenses....Very effective.

All of which is why I wondered whether a small array is available,that would fit inside each D lamp...giving two strengths of red light, and an amber flasher..all out of the same Lucas lens?
----------------------------------------------
Ford Pop chassis, Ashley 1172 bodyshell, in pieces.
Ray White

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe there may be regulations that preclude the retro fitting of such lamps. I seem to remember there was a discussion on this forum before. Was there not a change to the law that caused Ford and Jaguar (to name just two) to introduce separate amber flashing lights.

From a personal point of view I have considered the idea and dismissed it on the basis that these days drivers are not expecting a flashing red light; they are expecting to see flashing amber indicators. Probably not an issue during the day but could cause some confusion at night.
alastairq

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Especially when cyclists seem to prefer flashing red rear lights? Smile
Ray White

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alastairq wrote:
Especially when cyclists seem to prefer flashing red rear lights? Smile

Good point!
Phil - Nottingham

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fitted BA9 orange 21w halogens in the divided D lamp reverse light segment of our 1938 Rover P2. The single taillight in the narrow side was replaced with a BA15D 6/21w small globe bulb.

The reverse light is now suspended underneath the number plate.

This was over 20 years ago - now you can get orange/red stop/tail LED "boards" to fit inside the D lamps which are much clearer and looka good idea
Land Rover S2 & S3
Morris Mini Traveller Mk2
alastairq

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
This was over 20 years ago - now you can get orange/red stop/tail LED "boards" to fit inside the D lamps which are much clearer and look a good idea

That's the sort of thing I was thinking of...obvioulsy,Mustang rear lights are bigger, but all the same, I cannot see why an LED board [asrray] should not prove sucessful?

[The Mustang passed 4 MoTs with the Brightlights rear LED arrays...]
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an led rear lamp that I knocked up a few years ago using Cree LED's. The LED's on the LHS are red and serve the tail and brake lamps (limiting the current for the tail lamps) the LED's on the RHS are indicators and yellow they do shine yellow through the red lens, I had a simple 555 timer circuit on the other side of the PCB to make them flash.

Dave
alastairq

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.brightlight-customs.co.uk/

The gent above is very helpful. He makes a small board for the round Lucas lamp units [L795, etc]....and would probably be happy to discuss custom boards.

As I mentioned earlier, my Mustang came to me with one of his very early LED arrays for the rear lights.....when one string went AWOL, an email for advice got me an envelope with spare [correct] LEDs and blobs to make my own repair.
As I had already isolated the one string [of 4 LEDs plus their resistor,or whatever it was?] the whole board functioned as required [brake, side, and indicator, which is in amber]....adequately enough to pass an MoT. Thus I have 4 LEDs and their blob in a drawer, until the time when I get bore enough to dig out my soldering iron.

These arrays are a simple way of allowing an import to meet UK regulations...I haven't gone in for fancy displays, like sequential lighting, etc....

Of course, the low current draw is an added bonus, when considering dynamo charging systems.
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ukdave2002 wrote:
This is an led rear lamp that I knocked up a few years ago using Cree LED's. The LED's on the LHS are red and serve the tail and brake lamps (limiting the current for the tail lamps) the LED's on the RHS are indicators and yellow they do shine yellow through the red lens, I had a simple 555 timer circuit on the other side of the PCB to make them flash.

Dave

Just out of idle curiosity, Dave, what's the vertical divider made of? I can see it's soldered in place but can't quite make out what it is...
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The divider is a bit of mild steel, it's about 1/2" tall.

Dave
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope the lamp unit is watertight Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: