classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Nasty discoveries
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Ray White

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:17 pm    Post subject: Nasty discoveries Reply with quote

No doubt we have all discovered hidden horrors but sometimes they can be expensive. I recently removed the crown wheel and pinion from my MG TC diff and apart from the usual wear and tear I found the pinion had lost a tooth.

Fortunately, I have already decided to switch from the low 5.125/1 gearing to 4.875/1.
alastairq

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found likewise on my Dellow....but I had already driven a good 5000 miles on that axle...and it probably did more with the previous owners?

I knew it was a 'noisy' final drive...sitting right on top of it, with but a thin sheet of ally separating my backside from the iron...one got used to ignoring the noises.
However, when I fitted the new, stronger half shafts, I also decided to fit a 'new' CWP....[bought on a whim a year or so earlier, when it was priced significantly less than other new CWPs]...
Of course, now I am paranoid about any noises emanating from my nether regions.....including a faint 'squeal' that comes & goes....
----------------------------------------------
Ford Pop chassis, Ashley 1172 bodyshell, in pieces.
Ray White

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My MG also had a hard life previously with a competition history - mainly hill climbing - so I will need to replace all the bearings; they are all floppy.

I am hopeful (wishful thinking) that the differential is O.K. as I cannot feel any nasties but without taking it apart I won't know for sure. I am probably just going to fit the new CW&P to the diff (when I find one cheap enough) and refit.

I have have been keeping my eye on Ebay and the club classifieds for another cw&p but if nothing crops up I will have to shell out for a brand new one. I suppose I should be grateful that they are still available!!

One thing that I am undecided about is the amount of wear found on the half shafts. There are the beginnings of a "step" on the half shaft splines where they are driven by the diff. No more than a burr at the moment but visible non the less. Half shafts are not too dear and are readily available but there is a problem. They are a press fit into the hubs which presents as virtually inseparable without damage. This is why the half shafts are also available complete with new hubs - and that is when it starts to get expensive.

I am tempted to crack test the half shafts and if they seem sound just put them back and hope they don't break.
emmerson

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey! I take exception to that title! My Discovery's not nasty. In fact it's quite pleasant. Very Happy
Ray White

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

emmerson wrote:
Hey! I take exception to that title! My Discovery's not nasty. In fact it's quite pleasant. Very Happy

I am sure it is!

Sorry for the misleading title!

Last night I separated the pinion from it's housing and one of the bearing cages quite literally disintegrated onto the bench!

I am now on the hunt for some taper rollers which I think should give better support.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: